New jeep question.

Traded my 91yj for a 2004 sport. Are the seat covers water resistant or do I need to do something to protect them? thanks

Reply to
DAVID DRUM

What do you want? Water proof or water resistant?!

Are they vinyl or cloth?

My '02TJ had that stooopid cow leather ass soaking material! Great....it's waterproof, but I'd hate to be a cow! I bought some Wet Okeole's (sp?) for the front seats....I drive, let the ppl in back sear their asses off!! haha

The jury's out in either material type.... the waterproof (vinyl-like) will leave puddles on your seats....where the cloth will soak some. In either case, you'll need a towel!!

Reply to
SB

If you're referring to the factory cloth seats, the word is no. I have an '03 with cloth and while they repel a bit of bee.... um, PEPSI when dribbled on them, they suck up rain like crazy if left exposed. Just leave the top off during a rainstorm and you'll know. Not much in the way of "scotchguard"... If you want water PROOF, I'd go with neoprene covers from somewhere like Quadratec or other...

My $0.02.

John

Reply to
John R

Have you ever seen how long it takes a neoprene wet suit to dry out?

Man I sure wouldn't want that on my seats or seat....

They sell plastic seat covers pretty cheap. A friend uses them when mudding or leaving the top off when sitting. If you don't need them they come off in 5 seconds.

Mike

John R wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

This site says that they are waterproof:

$55 each is a little steep though.

-Muuurgh

Reply to
Muuurgh

What they forget to mention is that neoprene is only waterproof when brand new before it has ever been compressed, bent or sat on.

As soon as you start flexing and compressing it, the closed cells break down and it becomes one big sponge.

Seriously, it takes a couple days of hanging to dry out a wet suit, they absorb an amazing amount of water. My last rental suit had a weekend to drip dry and the shop still had to hang it when I brought it back.

Mike

Muuurgh wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I take that back these are the cheapest neoprene covers I have found so far.

-Muuurgh

Reply to
Muuurgh