Wrangler Unlimited?

I haven't been keeping up with the posts here, so forgive me if this is a rehash. I was thinking of selling my '02 TJ and buying the Unlimited. Is there anyone here who has one, and if so, how do you like it? I heard that the ride is harsh, but since I also drive a '91 YJ, I figure it can't be any worse!

Reply to
Eugene D'Jeep

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Although I have never driven one, since the Unlimited has 4-wheel coil springs and basically the same suspension as the TJ, I'm sure it will drive MUCH smoother than your '91 YJ.

I speak from experience in driving my son's '94 YJ and my '02 TJ. The YJ rides like a tank compared to the TJ.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

You guys are getting old..... That's like having a sportscar with an automatic. Just doesn't go. What if Dustin Hoffman had an automatic in the Graduate? No cool shifting sounds going with Simon and Garfunkel music :-(

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
twaldron

Yeah, and for best performance, and automatic is faster than a stick on the dragstrip. Take a look at the Super Stock classes and compare the automatic records to the stick records.

Chris

I agree with Bill here myself. I am a fan of manual shifting in any car I can get it in. The unavailability of manual shifting in all minivans chagrinned me when we had to buy one of those. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

automatic. Just doesn't go.>

Actually, the desire for an automatic seems to hit me when I'm doing the switchbacks on Black Bear Pass, negotiating three point turns with a sheer

2000 ft drop right in front of me: "Sure would be nice to have an automatic right now!"
Reply to
Jerry McG

Yeah, but think of the story telling you can say "Yeah, and I did it all with this cool manual transmission. I am DA MAN!!". If you don't go over the edge that is.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I have been driving my Unlimited for the past 2 months and I love it a lot.

For city driving, it is like a mix of a TJ and a Cherokee, which is great.

I have not done any hard core off road yet but everytime I see a field that I can get to without getting too much in trouble I do and it handles great.

The extra space in the back is excellent, by pilling the stuff up, I have as much room as I had in my 2000 Intrepid which has a big trunk. It is also great when you fold back or remove the back seat for larger objects

You can pull 3,500 lbs and I have tested it when carrying a load of broken cement that was about 2000 pounds and it did great.

I live near Ottawa Canada which is why I have a hard top (will get the new sunrider roof when it is available, I am told it will be available middle summer.

The hard top is very heavy and hard to handle, I removed it with my wife and had a hard time, but it is great driving with it off, my kids love it I think more than I do.

I have received lots of positive comments on the vehicle, mostly when the roof is off.

Once I get rid of the stuff I have in my garage, I will install a winch system to make the removing and installing of the roof easier.

My kids love it in the back, but even with the extra 2 inches leg room, it is not the greatest for adults, but who cares, I am the driver!!!

The draw back is the fuel efficiency, It was terrible for the first 5,000 kilometers (3,100 miles), and it is strating to improve, I was told that it would continue to improve until approx 4000 miles) and that at that point, I should be able to make approx. 260 miles with the 19 gallons tank. it is not great but it is the price to pay to own the Unlimited.

Here is a link on a review:

Hope this helps with your decision

Sorry for my less than perfect english, I am french Canadian.

Eric Parisien Silver TJ Unlimited

Reply to
Eric and Elizabeth

Yeah, cause you never know when you're going to want to drag race a wrangler unlimited...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Nice review. Compared to the sum total of posts in this group, I'd say your English easily rates in the top 1%.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

LOL Fred, that wasn't the intention of my post, but I can see how it came across that way. I was really responding to the part of the thread that stated a sports car is supposed to have a manual transmission.

Chris

I did the Black Bear Pass in 1989, 1990 and 1994 in a FULL Size GMC 4x4 pu. Now with 5 times in a Jeep I can't BELIEVE I did that trail in a full size. NEVER in a full size or even a Jeep without automatic agin!

Reply to
<curtis6317

You make'n fuun ov us?

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well, what prompted me to inquire in the first place was a comment made to me by a fellow Jeeper. He said that a friend of his had one, but was not totally impressed with it. The friend said that it rode like a pick-up truck. Well, after driving that '91 for 13 years, something that rides rough isn't too daunting. Thanks for the feedback and the link, Eric. Your comments have helped me decide that I want one, automatic or not! Oh, one other thing. There's nothing wrong with your English. If anything, it's embarrassing when some of my own countrymen can't spell!

Reply to
Eugene D'Jeep