No fuel pressure on start up

I have a '97 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V-8. When the car sits for a while (more than 4 hours or so) it starts very hard. I have discovered that if I cycle the key from off to on and let the fuel pump run and do this a few times it starts right up.

My theory is that I lose fuel presser when it sits but from where...fuel pressure regulator? An injector... if so which one? How do I test for this without just starting to replace parts that may be perfectly good?

I am leaning towards it being a bad injector because sometimes when I start it it will run rought for a few seconds. I'm thinking that one cylinder is flooded from the injector leaking fuel into that cylinder. Again, how do I tell which injector it is without just randomly replacing injectors.

Reply to
Bri585

Look at the spark plugs. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 01:18:52 GMT, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "Bri585" :

Check the plugs; the one paired with the leaky injector should be wet and/or fouled. And if this has been going on a while it *may* have diluted the oil, so you should probably change it.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Reply to
jeepy_1

That exact problem was caused by a defective check valve in the fuel pump of my 2000 TJ.

-- msosborn at msosborn dot com

Reply to
Matt Osborn

Reply to