Re: "Trail Rated" Jeep 4x4 -- Please define

Well the two advertisements I've seen for comparison for the Hummer H2...

  1. Kids soapbox Hummer replica goes offroad and wins a soapbox derby. 2. Hummer riding "offroad" with Regis and a Italian model riding in it while it's on the deck of a cruise ship.

Never seen a Hummer commercial where the Hummer is actually off road (under it's own power).

Jeep commercials sometimes show the product actually doing off road stuff. I can only guess that the Hummer (at least the H2 version) isn't really very good off road (or they'd show the product in that environment...he?!). Jeep's marketing folks are playing off the Hummer commercials (see we're "trail rated" since see we're actually showing our product on a trail!)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

'Trail Rated' badges appearing on Jeep 4x4's distinguish capability between Jeep 4x2's or any other 4x2 vehicle type that may be released under the Jeep name in the future.. it is called 'forward planning'..

Reply to
Mike Hall

As far as I know, pre-release, every new Jeep's gotta make the Rubicon under its own power. This is a helluva test! Sure "trail rated" is an advertsing tag line, but there is some substance to back it up.

You take that cutesy, cushy Jap SUV, no low-lock, natch, and I'll take my dead-stock Cherokee 4-by, solid axles, etc. We'll see who climbs the mountain first!

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

It isn't a advertising hyperbole. Trail-rated means the Jeep was capable of 'doing' the Rubicon. As I don't live in the USA I don't know how tough the Rubicon really is, but I doubt any softroader, besides the Liberty of course, is capable of doing it.

Offroading for normal people means driving around some dirt. And a trailrated Jeep can do that easily (given the right tires).

Offroading for the mentally ill means climbing mountains and stuff. A trailrated Jeep is a nice way to start with. Then come the liftkits, armour, Hi-jacks and bigger tires.

A Humvee is for sandboxes, not for trails. A HumVee cannot climb a mountain and it cannot go through woods. There is a reason a Wrangler has a short wheelbase. It means agility. You should look for some mentally ill in your neighbourhood and see what a modified Jeep can do. Martin

Reply to
Martin Boer

Richard and Martin are Correct. All Jeep models from the base model to the limited must be capable of completing the rubicon trail, to be called a jeep. That has been the Chrysler mandate from when they took over from AMC, Maybe with AMC to. But Daimler has decided to keep the Jeep true to the original

Reply to
hartless

Most of us already know that, but the ad does make the point that 'Trail Rated' applies to Jeep 4x4's.. but please note that there is such an animal as a Jeep 4x2.. and there may well be others in the future..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Reply to
mic canic

I will have succeeded in purging Nomen from my life *when everyone stops quoting him*.

I'm telling you, a judiciously-prepared killfile makes this NG a lot more enjoyable. That and the disappearance of perfesser mouth from the south.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff