Should I sell my Jeep wrangler?

Almost Ever time I take my 99 Jeep wrangler off road it something is broken on it. And I have spent about 4k on fixs from when I Have taken it off road.Should I sell my wrangler and buy some thing that is built better for offroad (I do go on all the hard shit).And what type of 4X4 should I buy?? Thank Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Buy a Real Jeep. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Well Bill what would a good jeep to buy??

Reply to
Jamie Mello

One that came stock with Real Dana 44s, a Real American Borg Warner Transmission, and a transfer case with Real gears, maybe a Real free wheeling front end. Oh, and Real leaf springs that will take the punishment, like the new Chevy and Ford trucks. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Might be cheaper to beef up the Wrangler to avoid the stuff that breaks. ...and head for a jeep camp to learn how to drive one so it doesnt break so often.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Yes, sell it. Buy an ATV. Watcha want for it?

Reply to
jeff

Like Lon pointed out when you fix something that breaks to you replace it with heavier duty stuff? And I'm NOT trying to be at all insulting but there might be something in your driving technique that is harder than necessary on the machinery. The Jeep camp sounds like a great idea (and a lot of fun).

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Off roading is a sport where you break and replace stuff. If you can't do the work yourself then you'd better be rich. This applies to any off road capable vehicle, even ATVs and dirt bikes. Talk to any hard core off roader and they will tell you half the fun is buying and installing parts. They don't really mean this, but they are making the best of a bad situation. You can't buy a vehicle from a car or truck dealer, that is meant to handle the "hard shit" without having to replace parts frequently. You can buy a beefed up Jeep, Nissan, Toyota or whatever from a speciality off road vehicle builder, but expect to pay a lot.

I think I'd get one of those new Toyota Cruisers. The dealer in Montrose has about six of them, with a good selection of options and packages. About $30,000, more or less. 4k is NOTHING to spend on a motor sport.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

List what you have broken and replaced that totals 4k. Unless you broke broke a differential. I take it you don't fix the "broken" stuff youself?

Learn to wrench your own stuff and you will save lots of coin.

Reply to
ULB

This guy is just a complete A-hole.

Reply to
Fred Garvin

My bro-in-law has one of those new FJ's. Does pretty well on light to medium trails. The first time they followed me on a trail we bashed his stock rockers/steps in. lol. He has decent ones now. Its a comfortable rig, decent ride, enough room to comfortably seat 4 adults and a large dog in the back. However, you can seat 2 more if some of them are smaller kids. The first drawback we found to wheeling it was that the kids complained that there was no place to hang on in the back seat.

A small lift, some decent tires, good rockers, and it looks pretty decent - but I wouldnt take it rock crawling. They can be built up nice, however....it is $30k+. In my case, I will keep the Jeep and the POS car and pick up a truck and trailer some day so I dont have to drive my wheeling rig back and forth to the far away trails anymore.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Suck it up Jamie.

Just Empty Every Pocket

Go buy a cheap ass little piece of crap car that gets good gas milage and drive the Jeep when you want to or have to. Something that gets you to work after you broke the Jeep on the weekend.

Check out Camp Jeep or Jeep Jamboree and get some off road driving instruction. Heavy on the skinny pedal does not make for less damage, however once in a while its the only way. Most of my damages come from inexperiance or stupidity.

When you replace parts dont use stock (for most things), upgrade them.

I've got a 98 TJ and I think I have about 30K into it in repairs and upgrades (not including regular maintenance or the roll-over repairs).

You may be better off IMO to keep this one and build it up, than to spend more $$ and get an already built. Also, if you swap to another type of 4x4 (non-Jeep) then you gotta start all over with the initial off roading, breaking, learning, etc.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

One rule of off roading....

You Play, You Pay.

No matter if you are even driving a tank....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

In article , Frank_v7.0 wrote: #Mike Romain wrote: # #> One rule of off roading.... #> #> You Play, You Pay. #> #> No matter if you are even driving a tank.... #> #> Mike #> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 #> 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build #> Photos:

I drove a tank (M48A5) for a while, but the Army paid the bills. :-) About 14 years ago, a CA National Guardsman turned into Das U-Boot Kommander when he tried to cross a river which was a few feet deeper than his estimate. That cost about $800,000.00.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Ouch! Makes you proud to be a taxpayer, doesn't it?

Reply to
XS11E

He probably panicked and took his foot off the gas. I got my tank commander wet a few times and he was half way out of the turret hatch. Do not take your foot off the gas :-) If you hit the water at a fast enough speed you can literally blow through ten feet of water. Just like parting the Red Sea. Just don't stop :-0

Reply to
Frank_v7.0