OT: H2 v Prius....

Huh? Not sure what exactly to think about this article, or the author for that matter. Where's Bill on this one?

Joseph P

L.W.(ßill)

"The demand for the Prius is pushing Toyota to install hybrid technology in other models, including SUVs. Also, it's spurring other automakers to adapt hybrid motors. Apparently, there's even a hybrid version of the Hummer in the works."

See.... now I'd actually be interested in a hybrid if in fact they made it in a few models that weren't either butt ugly or clown cars. An SUV hybrid would be nice. I just want something around the size of my XJ. Perfect size for camping, 2 or 3 sets of hockey gear fit nicely.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

GMC is coming out with a full size hybrid truck.

MaryJo Kopechne

Thanks for the article. Very interesting. That was the first I had read about the displacement on demand setup (8% or so better economy).

So the GMC hybrid truck is a V-8 that gets 10-15% better mileage by shutting the electric motor off at idle. Not exaclty a Prius, but it's a start. It even has 110 outlets, now I can mix margaritas when I go camping. I would think they could do even better in something the size of my XJ. We'll have to wait and see.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Not a joke, just a reminder.

Reply to
MaryJo Kopechne

I haven't seen a butt-ugly or clown car hybrid yet, but I guess that's just my tastes. Considering that there's the Toyota Prius, Toyota Estima, Toyota Alphard, (mild) Toyota Crown, Honda Insight, Honda Civic, and... Most of those look just like their non-hybid siblings.

Ford has pushed back the release on their hybrid Escape at least a year, so I don't know if it'll make the latest release date of this summer

2004, but...
(use aflash enabled browser) The Lexus RX330 (aka Harrier) will have a hybrid option available late fall 2004, relabeled the Lexus RX400H.
The Toyota cousin to the Lexus RX330, the Toyota Highlander (aka Kluger) will be available with a hybrid option in the spring of 2005.
(use a flashenabled browser)

The GM "hybrid" pickup trucks are best described as "Mild Hybrids," as the 42v system does not provide any motive force. The info sheet for the GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado "hybrid" pickups is here:

Michelle Vadeboncoeur

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to