OT: Hunting vs. Off-roading

Geez, I think trying to decide between rifle models and caibers is just as bad as learning about gearing and crawl ratios and tire size. You ask 5 different people the same question and will probably get 6 different answers!

Example A: Q: What should I buy for an elk rifle (maybe hunt deer and antelope some day)? Person 1: "You need at LEAST a 30-06 with a 180 grain bullet to consistently bring down elk" Person 2: "All you need is a well placed shot with a .270 and a 150 grain bullet" Person 3: "You want a 7mm and 175 grain bullet for the best all around stopping power and resonable recoil" Person 4: "No.... you need a .300 magnum and 220 grain bullet!"

Example B: Q: What's the best tire size/gears to run for a daily driver and moderate off road? Person 1: "You need at LEAST 35" tires with 4.56 gears" Person 2: "All you need is 32" tires and some driving ability to get up anything" Mike R. ;-) Person 3: "You want a 33" tire with 4.10 gears for the best all around power and reasonble handling" Person 4: "No.... you need 44" swampers and 5.89's!"

Sorry, slow day at work and I've been trying to make up my mind on my upcoming first rifle purchase. Feel free to lend opinions, everyone else has :-)

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

L.W.(ßill)

I vote the 7 mag. Will take anything on the American Continent and the recoil is reasonable.

Winchester Fail-Safe Ammo comes in all types of Game loads from "Varmint" to "Thick Skinned Dangerous Game" (Cape Buffalo)

Reply to
Jeepers

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:14:37 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "Kevin Sperle" :

Go for a .460 Weatherby; you can load down for squirrels. ;-)

Reply to
Bob Casanova

You must be in the 44" with 5.89 camp! ;-)

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

I've got a buddy trying to sell me his "barely used" Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic 7mm Rem Mag. Actually it is in great shape and I know he's only hunted with it once or twice. I know the vanguards are made specifically for Wal-Mart and the actions are produced by Howa out of Japan instead of by Weatherby though.

As far as new stuff, been looking at Ruger M77's, Remington 700's and some Savages. Trying to keep in that general price range since I need $$ to finish my tub swap :-)

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I won't recommend a tire/gear combo for you, but I'll give you my $.02 on the rifle. The .30-06 is about the most versatile caliber out there, and can be loaded for anything from varmints to moose. The 7mm Mag is more than adequate for the big game, but it lacks the versatility of the 06. Many people hunt elk with a .270, and a well placed shot will take down an elk no problem. There is also a .300 Winchester Mag and .338 Winchester Mag that will do the job. All in all, if I didn't have a gun and wanted the most versatile gun, I'd choose the .30-06. If you can get a deal on that Weatherby though, I would snag that in a heartbeat because it will do the job nicely as well.

Chris

choose the .30-06.

Yeah, I'm pretty much down to deciding between .30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag. Elk is my main desire, but I won't rule out wanting to hunt deer or antelope someday.

heartbeat because it will

I can get the Weatherby with a 3x9 Leupold scope and Burris one piece mounts for $450, or I can get his Remmington 700 BDL .30-06 with the same scope/mount combo for the same price.

A brand new Weatherby Vanguard sells for $389 + plus approx $40? for those mounts, and $199 for the same scope, + about $49 (tax) = $677 brand new Savings of about $227 for buying slightly used.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Hi Kevin,

Here in Eagle County we predominantly use the common three: 30-06, 270, and

7mm. I've met a lot of avid hunters here between Vail and Gypsum that have hunted here, some for over 50 seasons. I see the 30-06 and the 270 as a close tie. I've shot both and think both are great firearms. I can't very well give you my view of a 7mm because I've never fired one. However, the folks I know that use them, like them alot. Personally I think their "Over Kill". Remember all three of these guns will kill Elk and Deer (Fact). The limiting factor is shooter skill. The 30-06 and 270 IMO are all you need. A well placed shot will do the job. What I have seen is that the people who use the 7mm (also IMO) don't need a well placed shot. I've seen a deer get knocked off it's feet just by a 7mm round that hit the ground under-neath it. Of course it got up and run off, but it gave the shooter another chance while the animal was stunned, which again in this case, he missed the second shot as well.

I'd base your purchase around the terrain you plan to hunt. 30-06 IMO fair better in the forests. In the forest, speed doesn't play as big a role. They seem to be able to go through a twig or leaves without being knocked of course too far, which depends on the final distance. While still maintaining plenty of knock down. The 270 is close, but the speed and lighter grain I think fair better with open area distance shooting (fields/range land). The ballistic trajectory can handle distance better while maintaining precision and accuracy. Lastly, remember the bigger/heavier the bullet is directly effects the quantity and quality of your cuts of meat and steaks.

Maybe try to find a gun range or club that you could visit and try out the different calibers to find which firearm matches your shooting skills.

All the Best, Paul

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Synthetic stocks, I don't think handle recoil as comfortably as wood.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

How about this one bill? Scroll down slowly:

CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me

Reply to
Evan

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

"Kevin Sperle" wrote

Easy ... drop $900 and get both. ;-)

If I owned one hunting rifle, it would be a 30.06. If I owned two, it would be a .270 and a 300 Mag.

Reply to
-jc

Wow!

Duck looks like he got away, if he got pinged, he should have been flipping over.

Mike

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'd go with the 35's and 4.56 gears then I'd lock em'up like you would your favorite gun.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Ain't the Vangard made in japan?

Reply to
Jeepers

Yeah, made by Howa out of Japan. I took a look at the Remington 700 BDL up close last night at a gun store. Assuming my buddies is in good shape, I'll probably buy it this weekend. That 7mm is a sweet little round though. But there's so many more choices of ammo for the .30-06.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Any of those is capable of doing the job.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins