OT: Hunting vs. Off-roading

If you buy the Weatherby rifle chambered in the 7mm Remington cartridge and ever make it to Alaska, stop in to see me and I will show off my Remington rifle chambered in the 7mm Weatherby cartridge. It's a custom model 721 with about a 26" barrel on a beautiful piece of wood which was built sometime back in the 60s I think. My dad traded a chainsaw and some labor for it around the time I was born.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

I know squat about hunting, but I will second Mike's suggestion that 32s and good technique will get you to most of the places that you will want to go. A shovel and a tow strap will get to the places that technique leaves you short of, or get you out of places you attacked with too much enthusiasm and too little technique.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It fits just fine in the rack of my '73 Chevy pickup, and has for the last 30 or so years. Both were acquired around the same time but as I did not come along until '74, my recollection is more than a bit fuzzy. I have a more appropriate weapon for the TJ:

That's a 7 pound, .458 caliber rifle with an 18.5" barrel that throws a

350 gra> Carbine sized, nice, perfect for you TJ.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

But then most of us don't have quite the bear problem you do . Make my shoulder sore just to think about that one.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Stolen from another group: "In case of emergency, dial 1911"

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

.....and then john browning kicked it up a notch. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

for sure! i purchased 2 springfield .45s (see

for reference) in thepast 4 weeks. theres just nothing like a 1911, but im finding it does takeawhile to get used to carrying condition 1 (chambered, cocked, safety onwhich is what experts say is the best way to carry a 1911). i carriedsingle action autos for years before going to double action autos but nowthat im going back to carrying a single action auto its as if ive never seenone before.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

opinions vary widely because not everyone can handle the heavy loads. if hunting an animal that has the potential to kill you in the process, i recommend going big.....7mm minimum. anything else i hunt with my all time favorite bush rifle, the trusty winchester model 94 30-30. i dont hunt small game anyway but if i did it would definately be .17 rimfire.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

heh....are you talking about ted treadwell who wrote home a week earlier exclaiming that the grizzly bear had accepted him as one of their own? :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Jeff Cooper made some men more equal than others. 8^)

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Yeah, that was Ted "I would be honored to wind up in bear scat" Treadwell. As an added bonus there is one less bear in the world on account of him, so I can't find much to complain about in the whole situation.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

At seven hundred dollars the most expensive firearm I've ever bought:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com "Nathan W. Collier" wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

actually i was referencing the 1911. you spent $700 on that bdm? cali prices must be outrageous!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I didn't much like the idea of carrying cocked and locked at first, but with the safety and the grip safety I guess setting it off accidently would take some doing. This 1911 I inherited from my Dad...according to the serial number it's a 1918 build and the first thing anyone who handles it says is how tight it is. I know it's had more rounds fired through it in the last 2 years than I can remember for the rest of my life. In fact I may go buy a box of shells today, just for kicks