OT: New "WheelsTV" channel...

Saw this a few minutes ago, and checked out their website. No auto racing, just programming about automobiles. They have a show called "Jeep: The unstoppable soldier". It the caption was... a Liberty. Had to send them some feedback to set them straight. :-) Also suggested some programming on extreme off-roading.

Reply to
Mike

The caption under the Libby reads: "It wasn't much to look at, but could do just about anything it was asked to do." Half correct...

Joe

lol

929/ap_en_tv/wheels_tv_1> >

Reply to
Adam

FOR STARTERS, i encourage all liberty owners to stop reading here as you will probably get offended. this post is not to slam the liberty, it is a copy/paste of my own private email correspondence and is shared only because it is in keeping with the topic at hand.

here is a copy of the email i sent them:

---------------------------------------------- as a hardcore jeep enthusiast, im downright "irk'd" that you would associate the liberty with jeep heritage. if you run your show presenting a jeep liberty as the unstoppable soldier, or associated with the unstoppable soldiers, youre going to alienate the real jeepers, those who know the difference, before you even get off the ground good. the jeep liberty is a bastardization of the jeep name and everything that jeep once stood for. the rubicon trail challenge has been replaced with "trail ready" stickers.....why? because the liberty could not cross the rubicon trail. oh, jeep marketing got it over the rubicon trail but they had advance teams that were stacking rocks to make the trail as smooth as a back country road. when they were caught doing this by those "in the know", instead of raising the liberties capabilities to live up to the jeep name, they lowered jeep expectations so the liberty would fit in. the independent front suspension provides a nice, plush, car-like ride on the highway but it comes at the expense of off road capability and those who know better will dismiss your producers as idiots that are talking about a subject they know nothing of. sincerely,

Nathan W. Collier

here is a copy of the response i got a few minutes ago:

------------------------------------------- Hi Nathan..

First things first - thanks for your concern regarding the Liberty image heading up the show "The Unstoppable Soldier"...

Our web guy isn't a "car guy" at this stage of the game - in fact, he's the only non-car guy on staff - but he's learning VERY quickly what makes us tick (or ticked off, in this case)!!! This one slipped through the cracks as I've been very busy co-producing & editing a few off-road motorcycle shows in recent weeks. Also, our website is currently towards the end of "phase 1" and will be changing over the next few months into a site that caters more to the automotive nut than the corporate crowd

I wholeheartedly agree with you - if a Jeep doesn't have two solid axles and is fitted with leather seats, power windows and a radio you can actually hear, it's not a real jeep. This is coming from a Volkswagen THING fanatic who loves utilitarian vehicles to no end and appreciates all they can do (granted, a THING is hardly a Jeep, but I take my car off-road, into the sand dunes.. Everywhere I can get it)

I will see to it personally that the image of the Liberty (might as well be a CRV) is removed and replaced with a proper image in the next few days.

Thanks again for your concern & support!

as it turns out, this might be a decent channel afterall!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

"if a Jeep doesn't have two solid axles and is fitted with leather seats, power windows and a radio you can actually hear, it's not a real jeep."

Now, *that* I can appreciate! (Although, my FSJ Grand Wagoneer may take exception to it... LOL)

Reply to
TJim

TJim vomitted:

My friends think I'm goofy because I love this crude little YJ so much! They can't understand why I wouldn't want all that crap. My YJ is 10 years old this month and I have no plans to abandon it anytime soon. 128k and kicking!

Reply to
Big Daddy

Bill... Send these guys some pictures of REAL JEEPS for the website!

Joe

Hey! Don't encourage him!

Reply to
TJim

I think everyone's already seen that Pismo sand drag pic about 40 times....

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)