Possible Trolls?

You lost me - I thought we were comparing the BMWs 1.2 lateral g against the .98g of the Corvette. Where did ceilings come into it ? I can't see how a BMW or anything else could possibly stick to the ceiling without the aerodynamics of a Formula 1 car (which has 2 ton of downforce in addition to its 3/4 ton weight).

Dave Milne

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I said I CANT see how a BMW could stick to the ceiling. Anyhow, it's Christmas eve and I have to hit the road soon, so Merry Christmas to you all !

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'm hoping Santa will being me a Real Jeep :-) Take care and have a good one.

Dave Milne

Happy Boxing Day and after reading this thread. I concluded that the M series BMW is the winna and still champ for lateral Gs.

My condolences to the ever so link throwing Mr. L.W.H III. :-) Bill did you play Santa this year? :-)

Anyone ever see a corvette in an accident? Not good. :) I saw an episode of a high chase police flick, where a guy in a corvette makes a wrong move trying to get around an 18 wheeler truck and the thing just lost traction and off the road it broke in two but the driver got thrown out and that saved his life. All'Y'All probably saw this some time since they like to re-run it periodically.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Yup, seen that one. There's a reason the police tend to use a lot of Bimmer's as traffic patrol cars in Europe. Try catching an M5 in a giant American Caprice or Crown Vic ...that I'd like to see. It might be a close race on the highway in the open but as soon as that M5 started to dance in traffic or go down a windy residential area ...the cops would be looking for a LOT of backup.

Reply to
griffin

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

They have cheaper options. By a comparable standard, the Europeans could step down to a Jetta TDI, Saab, Merker (Euro Mercury) or even lower-end Volvo's; but instead they realize they need high performance handling and accelaration ...so they go with the BMW (and higher end Benz).

And as a matter of fact, a lot of European places do use Ford for their main city patrol cars:

as an example. But for serious pursuits...BMW. Can you imagine if 10 highway troopers were chasing, say, an NSX orM3, or even something like an Austin Mini or MGB on a US freeway in trafficand were all driving 350 Vette's? It'd end up being a 10-Vette pileup andthe little Euro car would just weave its way through traffic like grandmaknitting a quilt.

Granted, I've given you the fact that some Vette's can perhaps take an M5 in the 1/4 (maybe the newer ZR1 or ZR51 ...but no way in hell can a stock 350 take an M5), but please just admit to me that there isn't a chance for ANY stock Vette to take an M5 around any corner. Let's just say that after 1/4 mile, both cars are moving at around probably, what, 110MPH? If at the end of the 1/4 mile is a turn, say even something not too serious, like this angle: ) ...would you put money on any Vette over an M5? Better yet, would you put the pink slip to your Vette up for grabs? Whereas the Vette would likely be ceasing to accelerate, decelerating, or checking to make sure his belt is done up in case he comes off the road, the M5 driver is going to shift into 4 and come out of the turn doing 120+

Reply to
griffin

griffin proclaimed:

Or, in one case in Italy, a Lamborghini Gallardo, complete with lights.

Odd that they never considered using what the police agencies in the USofA use--radio. And sometimes helicopters with radio.

M5, schmem5. Give me a Lotus!!

Reply to
Lon

Ya, I'd take one of those too. Do they still use them on the Autobahn? Last I heard that was the traffic patrol's choice-car for there (the Super7 I think)? Altho, I gotta say, as a family man and as my daily city driver, I'd take an M5 over ANYTHING else out there. Power, luxury, beauty. Mmmm.

Reply to
griffin

griffin proclaimed:

BMW==The Ultimate Dickhead Machine.

I can't imagine anyone who actually ever needed to drive reliably using a Lotus of the Chapman vintage, particularly not the Super7, although the chassis itself is quite good if you add a Mazda engine and turn it into a Rotus.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Actually, my ZJ can do that. :)

It only requires a straight road, no cross winds and a steel plate to prevent my ass from sucking up the seat cussion.

Reply to
DougW

Are either of those vehicles stock floormodels? If so, what model is that Corvette specifically cuz I've never seen a stock Vette post those numbers. The fastest Vette I can think of stock is a Z51 with 6spd and I can't think of any stock Vette that can post a sub-10s 1/4 ...let alone sub-12 for that matter. If we're talking modified vehicles, that's a completely different story on the drag strip and ya, for the most part, a modified Vette will clobber an M5. But again, modify your Vette all you want and race it against a stock M5 around a bend and you're still going to be hoping your brakes work going into the turn.

Reply to
griffin

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Most people don't bother modifying a $140k vehicle that has more balls off the floor than most high-end sports cars, especially when they are still under warranty. The stock numbers for a 5seater luxury sedan are impressive enough. Is that Z06 stock?

Reply to
griffin

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

(awesomesite)

Not one stock Z06 of differing years posts under 12s. Only 1s better than a stock M5 (which, again, is a 5seat luxury sedan ...not a 100% straight-away performance car). Not a big enough difference to impress me, especially when comparing handling, comfort, luxury, options, etc etc etc.

Reply to
griffin