Problem with TJ suspension - Clunk

wow, you guys rock...I have a '97 TJ and I just tonight figured out what my problem was by reading this thread....basically, apart from a different year, I have the same problem as the original poster. The largest clunk is front right, that's where I feel the slippage from.... I have to drive 150 interstate mi tomorrow to Atlanta (flying over to South Asia to help out)...will driving with a 'loose' sway bar be dangerous? or will it damage anything?

I'm a little confused by what all needs to be replaced...at this point, I'm sure I need two new sway bars (might as well get some quick disonnects), but do I also need to replace the control bar/stabilizer bar?

I wouldn't be able to repair any of this until I come back to the US, which will be after another 150 mi drive...any advice is much appreciated. (like, if you guys tell me I have to go to the dealer tomorrow to get this fixed, I will, but I'm guessing I can order some parts, they'll be delivered when I'm gone, and I can fix it in February)

Reply to
richlassiter

mabar

First, see the stabilizer bar link photo I posted on the newsgroup: alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4.

Driving on the road with a disconnected stabilizer bar is dangerous, but yours may not be disconnected. The clunking you hear is probably the disintegrating plastic ball joint on the top of the stabilizer bar link. It still may be connected though. The stabilizer bar helps reduce body roll (lean) in turns. With a totally disconnected stabilizer bar, vehicle handling during turns or sharp manovers becomes very dangerous, with LOTS of body lean. You should never drive on the road with a disconnected stabilizer bar. A disconnected bar is for off road use only.

No, you don't need to replace your stabilizer bar. You have one stabilizer bar or anti-sway bar (sometimes just called a sway bar) that runs horizontally across the front of the Jeep. It is connected to the front suspension on each side with vertical links. The links have a plastic swivel/ball joint on top, covered by a rubber boot. See the photo I posted on: alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4. The clunking sounds indicates that you probably need to replace one or both sway bar links.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Yes, they're still connected, and the front right rubber boot is definitely disintigrating, they're just some play in it, especially when I turn to the left.

OK, now that I need to order some new sway bars for my '97 TJ....do any of you experts have a particular brand/retailer you recommend? (I do very little off-roading)

Thanks again!

Reply to
richlassiter