1968 PS pump question

Last year, I went through 3 defective aftermarket PS pumps for my 68, before finding one that "worked" (the others from Kragen/Auto zone all didn't work out of the box), but the one I ended up with is now failing as well! Can anyone recommend a QUALITY aftermarket PS pump, or is there a place I can get an OEM pump at a reasonable price?

Reply to
vince garcia

Are you flushing the system when you replace the pump? Crap hiding in the steering box and lines can kill a new pump quicker than you can say "Oh, shoot..."

Jim Warman

When i put it on, everything was new because I was rebuilding the drive train and steering. The pumps bad out of the box (but for the first pump which I stupidly assumed would be good and just put on) would not even pump when the shaft was turned when I checked them at the parts house! Of course the parts places were offended I wanted them to give me some fluid to test them on the spot, but I insisted and they did, and they got to see firsthand what crap parts they're selling. Finally we got one that did test okay, but as I say, a year later it's starting to feel "weak", so I'm giving up on PS pumps from the major outlets

Reply to
vince garcia

instead of dealing with the parts places how about going to a local rebuilder place. in my area they have several... they rebuild brakes, p/s pumps, carberators, alt. and starters.. and then wholesale them out to the parts places.... check the yellow pages for a rebuilder place in your area....

Reply to
jim

Here in Canada, I have had good luck with the Ford rebuilts (but I doubt they'd come from the same places as you Yanks get them). Autoline has serve well, too but again, this is pretty much a Canadian supplier.

Jim Warman

Unfortunatley I know of no place that rebuilds pumps here locally. :(

Reply to
vince garcia