Question for Bill - AW-4 handle

Bill - I'm betting you will probably know the answer and may even have a picture...

For a '99 XJ with the AW-4 tranny, is there any way to remove the T from the shifter shaft? I never have liked it and would like to replace it with something like a Hurst shifter T handle. I've seen Hurst T handles with integrated buttons that are used for hill holder brakes. I'd bet that button could replace the AW-4's T handle button (assuming the AW-4 button activates a solenoid instead of a mechanical linkage).

I've been told I can just pull the T off the shaft, but I'm afraid to do that - I suspect that shaft is just held in with some plastic thingies.

Anyone know how to do this or have pictures?

Reply to
Clap Trap

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks for the picts Bill.

They show the T handle is a separate piece from the shaft, but nothing indicates how to remove it. I don't want to mess with any of the cabling or anything. Just removing the handle shouldn't require anything other than hooking the button switch to the button on a B&M type T handle so it should work. If I could just figure out how to get that handle off.

Reply to
Clap Trap

This may not help, but the last console automatic car I drove had a small allen screw in the front of the handle that held it onto the stick. It was also a 76 Dodge Aspen.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Grasp the T-handle firmly. Pull it straight up/off the shaft. Honestly, that's it. No screws, no catches, just a sort of plastic retainer in the t-handle sort of like the cap on a jug of milk.

I didn't believe it until I did it myself (97 XJ).

The button on the t-handle presses a button on the top of the shifter shaft. That moves a short cable which lifts a piece of metal so you can shift.

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

Hmm - that sounds like a mechanical connection to me. Bummer. That means it would not be a simple thing to replace the T handle with a B&M type handle.

But - maybe the knob style handle from a Grand Cherokee would work? Have you ever taken one of those off?

BTW, why did you ever take the handle off an XJ > The button on the t-handle presses a button on the top of the shifter

Reply to
Clap Trap

I was mounting a set of toggle switches on the center console (right on that shift plate) so I needed to pull that plate off to drill the holes.