'66 Door handle problems

The round button door handles on my '66 sunroof bug were worn to the point that they would not lock or unlock and barely open. I ordered replacement handles from The Real Source. They had square buttons but the workings looked identical to the original round buttons.

I still cannot get the passenger door to lock or unlock with a key, though it does open fairly smoothly.. The driver's side locks but locking/unlocking isn't smooth. I have to twist the key a certain way to get it to connect. It apprears that the tabs that the door handle paddle hits are pretty worn.

Do I have to find the inner workings of another '66 donor car or is there a way to retrofit another year's lock mechanism into a '66 door?

Or is there some other alternative I haven't considered? Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Jim Berg

Sounds like the problem I was having with my 66. I was not able to turn the key to lock/unlock mine either. The problem on mine appeared to be the lock mechanism was all gummed up. WD40 and working the lock post up and down freed it up quit a bit. [spray it from the inside behind/under the outside door handle] I had the same problem with my 77. Now I can lock/unlock both of them up using the key. Now if you were to take the whole lock mechanism out and clean it all up I'll bet it would start working smoothly again. I just have not gone that far yet...

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
isn't smooth. I have to twist the key a certain way to get it to connect.It
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

This sounds pretty familiar. Sounds to me like your 66 was made late and has/had 67 door handles and locks. Probably has some other

67 features as well. Anyway, I went thru the same thing. Take a look at the passenger side door handles. Old vs new. You should see a small "rod" that is probably a little longer on the new one. I had that problem and took the old dremel to it and ground it down a little at a time until the lock worked.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Randy

RSMEINER

Actually, your slightly wrong there!

The "67-style" door handles that were used on the 1966 Beetle built after March 1966 are infact unique to the 1966 models. Although externally the locks look the same as 1967 ones, the insides are completely different. Round-button '66 locks will not work on a '67 car and vice versa.

The reason for this is that the '66 uses the old style of internal door handle - the chrome bar that opens the door when pulled back (and locks the passenger side by pushing foward). The '67 cars have the small locking plunger in the top rear of the inside door channel that flips up/down to lock/unlock, and internal "trigger" handles, much like those in a modern car.

However, the earlier 1966 square button handles WILL work on a '66 car that had '67 style handles originally fitted. In 1966 the doors and internal locking mechanisms are the same. My guess is to try the method that RSMEINER suggested:

:-)

-- Howard - the '66 expert!

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

Thanks for your help. When I get back from a couple of weeks of vacation, I'll try your ideas out. Have a great 4th!

locking/unlocking

Reply to
Jim Berg