Quick question on lift kits

I am slightly interested in a small lift (2 inches) for my 2004 Wrangler. In looking at the various kits, I have noticed that some (like Skyjacker) just include coil spacers/new shocks/bump stop extensions, while others (like Old man Emu) include lots more stuff, like transfer case lowering shims/new coils, etc.

I have also seen several reports in various places about driveline noisem when using the cheaper kits that don't include transfer case shims, even though - THEORETICALLY - you should not need them for a 2 inch lift.

Any opinions? My inclination is to go for the more complete kits, since I don't want to buy a problem, but at 3 times the cost of the Skyjacker kit I would like to know what other people have experienced..

Thanks for any information!

Reply to
Patrick O'Neill

First of all, what do you want to do with your lifted Jeep that you can't do with it unlifted? Is it primarily stance, or are you going to start offroading it? If I was going to do a 2" lift, I'd use the coil spacers. Otherwise I'd go up to the 3.5" or 4.5" spring lift...JMHO. You risk driveline vibes with any lift, but 2" generally do not have any problems.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > I am slightly interested in a small lift (2 inches) for my 2004

Reply to
twaldron

True - I should have said that I am mostly interested in the lift mostly for appearance - I do very little offroading, My only concern with the coil spacers is the possibility of driveline noise... I have seen reports of driveline rumbling even on a 2 inch lift, if no transfer case shims were used...

Reply to
Patrick O'Neill

good mornin'. i just put the 2" spacers on my 02 TJ a few weeks back & haven't had any problems or noises. if you just want the lift for appearance, the spacers are the least expensive way to go.

Reply to
T T

I have helped folks put the spacer lifts in and they had no issues. If you do have an issue, it only takes a couple washers to make a spacer for lowering the t-case slightly.

Mike

Mike Romain

Just to clarify, the spacers have nothing to do with creating driveline anymore than putting in 2" lift springs. The vibes come from changing the driveline geometry. Again, it is very unlikely that 2" will cause vibes. If you are in the rare 5% that do, a simple transfercase lowering kit will bring you back to normal.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Patrick O'Neill wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Patrick,

I have an 02, i put in the Skyjacker 2 inch spacer kit and i ran into the vibe problem around 35 -40 MPH.

I then put in the spacer kit and the vibe went away.

I have talked to people on both sides. For some reason some people have a problem and some don't.

The nice thing about the 2 inch kit was I was able to do it myself in my driveway with basic tools and a jack.

Reply to
John

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go ahead and do the coil spacers, and just install the t-case spacers as well. They are cheap and easy.

Reply to
Patrick O'Neill