Re: '76 CJ7 Levi edition restoration advice

Hello,

I have a 1976 CJ7 Levi edition Jeep with the 304 V8 engine. It is in need of a overhall. The body needs to be totally sand blasted and repainted and I want to replace the engine. I am thinking of putting a remanufactured one in. The one I have uses 1 qt. every other tank (about 110,000 miles.) There is a posting from 1996 that I placed on this newsgroup which I found by doing a Google newsgroup search. I have yet to do any of the repairs stated in that post except for fixing the full tank leak. This Jeep is old enough that I don't need to have any more smog checks done. What does this mean in terms of what I can remove off of this engine in the way of smog equipment? And how much horsepower increase will I get if any? I live in California. Also is the body just bolted to the frame or is it welded in places? I wanted to take the entire body off and repaint both sides inside and out. Reading on off-road.com it looks like that not all 304s have the same horse power rating. What is the reason for this?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The body is bolted on. It may feel like its welded on when you start taking out those 28 year old body mount bolts. If you find it welded anywhere, it certainly wasn't stock.

You get 55,000 miles per tank? ;-)

Reply to
Kevin_S

Holy cow, how bigga tank you got in that thing?

Reply to
JohnM

Probably stock and he started in northern Canada headed south - it was downhill all the way Panama .

Reply to
Will Honea