Re: CJ7 & 258 fan to radiator measurement

You have the wrong fan on it or the wrong fan clutch on it.

1" is 'way' too close.

Mike

Hi- > As some of you may know I had my fan hit my radiator last month while > 4-wheeling. I replaced the radiato, body mounts, and transmission > mount. I went 4 wheeling July 5th and had it happen again, not as bad > this time, it just grazed the radiator. I have played around with my > radiator some now and have it so there is about 1 inch of space between > the fan and radiator(still not enough in my mind). > > I have seen on this site: >
the he has 2 5/8".> > I am trying to find what everyone else normally has in a CJ with a 258. > > I see that he has a 2 core radiator where I have a 3 core so that is> part of the difference.> > As far as I can tell my transmission and motor mounts are all good and > aligned correctly. > -- > Aaron Graham >
1948 Willys & 1979 CJ7> o_o_o_o> /| ,[_____], > |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O- > ()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)
Reply to
Mike Romain

How much overhang does the body have at the back cross member?

Mine is flush.

I have my rad sitting on a frame I built so it free stands. I have the one piece front clip. My fan has 2" of clearance.

Do you have a fixed fan or a clutch fan? Mine is fixed. There also is a 1" spacer between the fan and the waterpump pulley. This spacer could either be cut down or removed if I needed more room.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mine is flush with the crossmember that is there, but the back portion of the frame was also replaced so it could be wrong also.

Mine is fixed.

There also is

Mine has about a 1/4" spacer.

Reply to
Aaron Graham

Mine is about 46"(yes from the back edge of the bracket!) but then again the body mount brackets have been replaced so they could be different. I know some fiberglass bodies have the mounts in different places, that is why the install kits include a plate to connect mounts 3 & 4 on each side, then the body mounts to the plate. Maybe instead of doing the plate the p.o. just moved the bracket. My rear wheel is centered in the wheel well so I don't think the body is off 4 inches.

Man the more I learn about this Jeep the more it makes me wonder if I should have bought it or just kept looking......

How much room do you have between the motor and the firewall? I think I have about 3 inches.

Reply to
Aaron Graham

The tub is likely in the wrong place.

From the back of the tub measuring straight over/down to the physical center of the spring bolt, I have 48 1/4".

I have 1" from the valve cover top to the firewall, barely a finger width down at the edge of the valve cover.

My rear wheel is 'not' centered in the opening. If I put a level down from the edge of the flair in the back, the level touches my 33" tire. If I do the same on the front of the flair, I have 2" of clearance from the level.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Oh, my old steel body had the same rear wheel in the hole alignment and would 'just' tag the rear flair under full flex before my lift.

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I am really thinking about going to an electric, especially since I live in upstate NY where the temps don't get that hot.

I have been reading alot about the Taurus fan swap...

I also find it amazing the fiberglass tub makers don't mark their tubs in anyway. I don't know who made my tub as it was installed by a previous owner.

Reply to
Aaron Graham

Reply to
Jeff