Removing rear seat belts from TJ

I've been hauling firewood in my TJ and would like to remove the rear seat belts to get them out of the way. Removing the torx bolt is no big deal but before I do I wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose a blind nut under the tub. Anybody know if the nut is welded under the tub? Just want to be sure I can reinstall the belts later. Thanks.

Rich M

98TJ
Reply to
Rich M

It is welded in.

Mike

Rich M wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

On 07 Dec 2003 09:00 PM, Rich M posted the following:

Mine was a welded nut. You might consider installing a bolt in there to keep debris out of the threads.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Thanks guys, good idea about putting a bolt in, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Rich M

98TJ
Reply to
Rich M

Yes, it's welded there. The seat and seat belts can be removed and reinstalled. The base model doesn't even get a seat, and the owners of these models have the option of buying a seat and some belts, and installing them later if he wants.

Reply to
CRWLR

one other thing you can do, if you have 3 kids like I do, is ge ta third seat belt from JC Whitney and attach it to the same bolt. Then you can take all 3 kids safely in the back seat... :-)

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

I am having trouble visualizing the set up, but isn't there a single bolt in the center that has two buckles on it that get attached to the shoulder belts? If you attach both ends of a lap belt to the same bolt, the occupant of that belt can be squeezed, squozen, crushed to death by thier own weight. I am not sure this is a good plan at all.

And, you don't need to go to JC Whitney, you can get seat belts right down the street at the auto parts store on the corner.

Reply to
CRWLR

A friend of mine removed the rear seat and belts from his TJ permanently, and he gave me the belts. I removed the buckle from the center position in my TJ and repositioned it about 1/3 of the tub width from the left side. I installed the buckle my friend gave me about 1/3 of the tub withd from the right side. Fashioned a lap belt from one of the extra belts. Reinforced the new buckle positions under the tub with steel bar. Now I have a 3-place rear seatbelt setup for my 3 kids where no one gets squished.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

That seems like a lot of work, but it is the only way to have done it.

Reply to
CRWLR

It was, and it is. It was involved but not particulary difficult. Fuel tank had to be dropped but that was no biggie.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo