removing very rusty shocks

First off, it is good to be back here again. Since I parked my YJ a few years back, and have not gotten around to working it back to life, I have missed the jeep world.

I recently acquired the jeep in my sig, well about 3k miles ago, and the shocks are shot. I have a new set but I am very concerned about breaking off the top bolts when I take off the rear shocks. I don't know how long they have been on there, but the shocks are rusted through in places. Am I justified in my concern or do these not usually break off? if they do break what is my best recourse. I will heat them with my propane torch and add some wax, but they seem very crusty. TIA

Matt

1994 XJ, 5spd, 208k miles, .060 over
Reply to
Matt W

I have found a product called PB Blaster works very well at dissolving rust without needing heat. I would recommend a few days soaking in that before you start.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > First off, it is good to be back here again. Since I parked my YJ a few
Reply to
Mike Romain

If the bolts do break I'm sure Bill will have a link to the 'fix' that goes through the cargo area floor pan to access the bolt.

Reply to
billy ray

Speaking of PB Blaster, I must venture to the garage to spray the front lugnuts on my XJ. Damn things just don't want to move...

Mike Roma> I have found a product called PB Blaster works very well at dissolving

Reply to
The Merg

Reply to
DanFXR

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks all, I will be doing this soon and it's good to know there is a simple solution to the problem.

Matt

Reply to
Matt W

Just soak them with PB for a few days. Hit them two or three times a day for a few days and they'll back right out.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Just take your time. PB blast for a week or more, tap on them daily, maybe heat them with a propane torch a few times. Sometimes it takes me a month to do a job on my rusty 95 YJ but eventually it gets done.

Reply to
nrs

Despite soaking mine with Rust Eater & PB Blaster for a week ahead of time, I twisted-off 3 of 4 bolts. On the first side, I went through the cargo area floor. After I asked Dave at the local 4WD shop, he said that he expects them to break, then uses a chisel to push the welded nut off from the weldment, then positions a nut & lock washer in its place, and runs the bolt onto the nut.

His solution is a lot faster and easier.

Jim '98 XJ

Reply to
98XJ

Thanks for the update and alternate solution.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> Despite soaking mine with Rust Eater & PB Blaster for a week ahead of
Reply to
Mike Romain