Replacement Front Seats for 94 Cherokee

Hi All,

I have a 1994 4-door 5 speed cherokee. It is the base model. The front seats do not have a tilt adjustment, they only slide back and forth. Real pita, since I'm very tall.

The front seat cushions have recently split, making the interior look really trashed out. I'd like to replace the seats with tilting versions.

Not looking to buy new, figured I'd get some that had been parted out, or from a junkyard, but I'm not finding much available in central Texas for my year model.

Can anyone tell me if I can bolt the front seats from a late model cherokee right it? I'd heard that the seat mounts were different in the newer models, preventing this. Is this correct? Or is it more straightfoward than it sounds?

I'd also heard that Ford Mustang seats might bolt right in.

If anyone can provide details, I'd sure appreciate any info you can share. Thanks.

S.

Reply to
fraserwag

Ok. I've made some determinations here, that I'll post for others that might have this question in the future.

I've was advised that 1989 and on XJ seats would fit into my 94 xj directly. I found a guy that was selling parting out his 89 seats online, and for 40 bucks, got the pair, along with the mounting rails that mount directly to the floor. I also purchased the center console from this 89, as my 94 didn't ship with one.

I happy to report that the 89 seats bolted directly into my 94 mounting rails, so 8 bolts per seat, and I was done. The new ones tilt, which is great, as the originals didn't. I didn't need the mounting rails from the 89, which was great.

In true "pay it forward" style, I gave away my old seats and the 1989 rails on craigslist. They lasted all of 20 minutes, and helped a guy out that had a broken seat.

I had a little less luck with the center console. I had to cut the leading 2 inches of the front of the console to get it to line up with the mounting holes in my 94. I was still off a little, even with the

2 inch trim, so had to drill a hole in one of the metal brackets adjacent to the stick shift.

All in all, for pretty nominal money and an afternoons effort, my interior just got a whole lot nicer.

S.

Reply to
fraserwag