Rotating tires -- Procomp directional treads

Mike has a very good idea here. Get a tire that is as tall as it needs to be to match the diameter of the other tires, and as skinny as it can be so it's as light as possible. It won't work very well offroading, but it should get you back to the highway and on to the tire store where you can get the damaged tire repaired or replaced.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ahh, you will just have the fat tire spinning too easy because the skinny one grabs so well off road... On road should be no difference... :-)

I see lots of folks with a skinny spare. I guess these are the ones that have already had that big sucker tire tear the mount off or the back door off or the fancy bumper swing off (right Steve?) or as in my CJ7, the rear fenders off....

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I do hate bottom posting...haha I DO have directional tires. I have the arrow. I understand that these can only go on one way....and that the rims DO have an inside and outside... so unless I remount my tires, I can't flip them to either side.

And to be honest, I hadn't notice people with "real" spares. Would make sense....but frig, if I have to drive 50km with my tread on backwards, who cares. I imagine it only really counts for how it "exorcises" the mud.

Reply to
Steve

Ya I was curious...but, running a tire backwards is no big deal.

separate question....as we had some rain yesterday, I found that my tires were actually pretty slicked on the wet pavement. Do you guys change out your MT tires come winter?

Reply to
Steve

I kept my BFG MTs on all last winter. They're not as good as a true snow tire on the street, but when I dump them down to 5 psi in the deep stuff, they'll take me anywhere. I may try a set of 33x9.50 BFG AT for street driving this winter.

I believe that your Procomp XTs will perform better than a traditional MT in the snow. The directional tread is an advantage and your lugs are siped for better grip on slick surfaces. Try them and let us know.

Steve

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Steve

If you have the arrow, then you have directional tires. Directional, and Outside are different though. That's my point.

And, you're right, if you drive 50 miles with the tread on backwards, not much will happen. Having said that, the directional tires are designed to wick the water away in one direction, but not in the other. I suppose you could face traction issues in certain circumstances too. But to put all of this in perspective, you will have just come off a trail where you spent at least some portion of the day with only three tires on the ground, you will have climbed over rocks and stumps, and perhaps slid sideways several feet while giving serious consideration of emptying your bladder in an involuntary reaction to the whole ordeal. A few miles with a tire on backwards isn't gong to be an issue in the grand scheme of things.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Winter? What's that? We have Fall, Spring, and Summer, and a few months when we need to wear socks.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland