PS Fluid for a 98 TJ?

A friend has a 98 TJ that has a badly blown input seal in his PS box.

He doesn't know what he should be using for fluid so has been putting ATF in it since he changed the seal a couple years ago.

The seal repair has failed and I am wondering if he should be getting a new bearing maybe because it is worn causing the failure, or if it is just the wrong fluid killing the seal.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Romain

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

He has the TJ box, not like my Saganaw and I don't know the fluid.

I 'Really' don't want to help him only change a seal if the bearing is the issue. 'I' think it is a fluid issue, hence this thread.

It is a TJ, same basic box, pitman and gear like the old Jeeps more or less, more on the less, but...

Do you maybe have a link on the fluid specs for a TJ?

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hey bill, publish some more of those pdf's if you have 'em for the TJ. Excellent stuff!!

Kudos

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I hear ya!

Reply to
SB

Mike -

From the FSM for 2004 TJ:

DESCRIPTION - POWER STEERING FLUID The recommended fluid for the power steering system is Mopart ATF +4.

DESCRIPTION - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION Mopart ATF+4, when new is red in color. The ATF+4 is dyed red so it can be identified from other fluids used in the vehicle such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red color is not permanent and is not an indicator of fluid condition, As the vehicle is driven, the ATF+4 will begin to look darker in color and may eventually become brown. THIS IS NORMAL. ATF+4 also has a unique odor that may change with age. Consequently, odor and color cannot be used to indicate the fluid condition or the need for a fluid change.

This gives you an idea, but this is 2004, not sure if they changed this over the years.

--dsm

Reply to
dsm

Damn... was hoping my '99 FSM may help, but all it says is:

"Use MOPAR Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. Do not use automatic transmission fluid and do not overfill."

Not much help, and I've never had to even t>A friend has a 98 TJ that has a badly blown input seal in his PS box. >

Reply to
David C. Moller

That does help, thanks!

I know they changed them around and wasn't sure what years were compatible with ATF. 2004 was according to dsm, 99 wasn't so I will figure the 98 is the same as the 99.

Mike

"David C. Moller" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain