Rubicon Price Negotiation

All this makes me think I got screwed when I ordered. The dealer said that it I had to put $500 down in order to order the Jeep. I should have refused--I hope that I don't have to wait another 6 weeks for it.

-Muuurgh

Reply to
Muuurgh

Carmax had them brand new on their website a couple of weeks ago for 23K and change

Reply to
WYTEKER51

That's right, but for some reason the invoice price just went up $600 in May. Go figure.

-Muuurgh

Reply to
Muuurgh

You put $500 down without negotiating a price?

I have never heard of that before.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

No, price is negotiated, I just don't like them having my $500 before I buy my Jeep.

-Muuurgh

Reply to
Muuurgh

Here's how it went:

The Jeep came in Thursday, May 6. I ordered it back in February; I ignored the dealer until today, Monday, May 10. I made it obvious I was in no hurry, I never salivated, and showed only mild interest in the vehicle the first time I saw it. Give me an Oscar.

I took the advice proffered here and visited the suggested web sites. My MSRP was 28.6K. Kelly's, Edmunds, and CarsDirect all had my Rubi at 26.5K as the "good deal" norm. I made this known, and my dealer came back with

26.1K-- at 5.9% interest for 66 months. No way.

We went back and forth just a couple of times, and in the end I got my Jeep for 26.6K at 1.9% interest (Chrysler Finance) for 48 months. I had to put 3K down.

I think it is important to note that I do not have perfect credit, courtesy of my ex-wife. Nonetheless, I asked for the best finance rate possible and got it. Seems all I had to do was ask. (I do have a good job, low debt, and make a decent buck, which can't hurt.)

Once the deal was made, I was siphoned off to the finance gal, and just as some cautioned they tried to sneak in $150 for 20 "free" oil changes. She said the contract had to show the oil change program price, but that it had already been deducted. I flashed the math though my mind, and it did not add up. I caught the discrepancy, thanks to the heads up on this group, and worked it out to my favor. We had to tear up three documents, and now free means free.

I did bite on the gap insurance. For $192 I get a replacement vehicle should this one get totaled; my insurance, Geico, would just give me what it was worth at the time of the accident. No, I do not intend to total the vehicle in the next five years, but I do plan on wheeling and you never know. I think if you are buying a real Jeep or a Corvette and use them as intended, gap insurance makes sense.

I turned down extra warranty options. I stuck with the no extra cost 3 yr bumper to bumper plus the 7/70 powertrain.

The minor glitches: it was supposed to come with a locking gas cap, but didn't. I had that noted on the "what the dealer owes you" sheet. I also got home and found no owner's manual, just a video.

All told, I rolled out with a good deal, a full tank of gas, and one damn fine machine!

Reply to
Jeffrey Wright

I sell Jeeps.

Putting $500 down on an ordered unit is standard procedure. Not negotiating a price prior to ordering was a mistake on your part. Were you "screwed"? Maybe not. Better talk price with the dealer right now. I'd agree with prior comments that a fair price would be close to invoice or a few hundred dollars more. Do you have a trade, and if so, are you looking for "top dollar" on the trade? Are you concerned about monthly payments and nothing else? I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but a helluva lot of people are 'trade buyers' or 'payment buyers'. It's not always price on the ordered unit that's of primary concern to the customer.

Time from date of order to actual delivery is beyond the dealer's control. I've had ordered units take anywhere from 4 to 20 weeks to arrive. There are a lot of variables - production schedules, shipping, etc...

Best regards, Dave Rose Cactus Cowboy Big Wonderful Wyoming '49 Willys Pickup (parts truck) '62 Willys Pickup 4WD 226 '98 XJ Sport O|||||||O

Reply to
cactuscowboy

Could you explain to me what the EP (employee price) is. That's what I'm getting my Jeep for, + the $2000 rebate and 2.99 financing on a 60 month loan (I plan to keep this jeep forever)--not to mention lifetime $10 oil changes. Does that sound like a good deal or should I keep pushing? I want to know what I should expect, the dealer says that we don't know the final cost of the Jeep yet because the FWP could change in a few weeks, but that I may also be able to benefit from other rebates if they are offered--I don't think they will be. How long does it normally take for a Jeep to get shipped once it reaches production? The dealer has no idea when the Jeep will be available "We're at the mercy of Chrysler now" he says.

So, I don't know the final cost of the Jeep, but we negotiated the above. Basically whatever the EP is + current rebates, when the Jeep arrives.

Thanks,

-Muuurgh

Reply to
Muuurgh

From The DC Employee Advantage Website.. (Yup I work there)>

Introducing DaimlerChrysler Employee Advantage - Chrysler Group Employee Purchase/Lease Program

Getting the vehicle of your dreams just got easier! This new Web site lets you easily obtain a Control Number for the purchase or lease of six select new Chrysler, Jeep® or Dodge vehicles at approximately 4-5% below factory invoice. Remember, the stylish Chrysler PT Cruiser, the rugged Jeep Liberty, and the all-new Dodge Ram 2500 are eligible with this offer. This great savings opportunity may also include consumer rebates available at the time of sale.

Reply to
Gene Young

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Well, the guy works for DC. What do you expect? :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

I work for them building cars, not writing their websites or advertising. Someone asked for information I could provide, and I did so.

Next time I'll think twice about posting help here...

Reply to
Gene Young

Sounds like it ! and 'dem Rube-icons ~are~ very nice. It's a Boobicon to me.. I love it! little brick sh#ithouse vehicle.

dave

Reply to
dave

They flat lied to him about gap insurance, but he didn't do his homework on this either...unless he just explained himself incorrectly.

Gap > "I did bite on the gap insurance. For $192 I get a replacement vehicle

Reply to
twaldron

Gap insurance is a very good idea for anyone who will be in a negative equity position on a car loan. Most buyers will be "upside down", thanks to zero down, extended terms, and/or carrying negative equity from a trade into the new purchase.

I advise my customers to put as much money down as possible and finance for the shortest term possible. It's in their best interest. Unfortunately, it usually falls on deaf ears. Most buyers are so focused on low monthly payments (extended terms) and minimal out of pocket investment (little or no money down) that they fail to realize how poorly they're managing their money. My advice to anyone who'll listen - put at least 30% down and finance for no longer than 36 months. If you don't, buy gap insurance.