sagging rear on Cherokee w/ 4" lift

I have a Trailmaster 4" lift on my '96 Cherokee. I towed a very heavy trailer 6000 pounds for over 1200 miles a while back. Yes I know it was illegal. My rear is sagging. The Trail Master lift is an add a leaf set up. Do I add another leaf? Do I have to replace the rear leafs?

Thanks for any suggestions, Curt

Reply to
curt

Add-a-leafs are commenly refered to as overloaders. In most cases when you add an overloader (add-a-leaf) your ride will stiffen up considerably. Bill was refering to the change in ride from stock to overload..

If you want another 125k+ consider new springs. To re-arc you are paying to re&re and it probably won't give you the results you're after. Especially if you have a short add-a-leaf. Weigh the differance to perform re-arcing to the cost of new springs... chances are that you will have to replace the springs in a couple of years anyway if you re-arc. (I've never had great luck with re-arcing)

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Thanks Brian,

I wonder who makes leaf springs for the rear of my Jeep with my 4" lift. Strangely when I bought the lift it was an add a leaf set up in the rear. It stated 3" for rear with the add a leaf from Traimaster. It sat really nice until I towed 6000 lbs for 1200 miles. Should I look for a 4" set of leafs for the rear now and what is a good name to look for?

Thanks for your help, Curt

Reply to
curt

Crap, I just remember I had a factory 1" lift on my Jeep. Maybe that is why they went 3" on rear with add a leaf.

Reply to
curt

I have not heard good things about trailmaster (Sags frequently.) Everyone seems to have a much higher opinion of RE (Rubicon Express) lifts. I realize redoing the entire lift may be more than you bargained for, but if it is worth doing, it is worth doing right....

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

I am not re-doing a whole lift. I have 100K miles on this lift and it had been really perfect. The rear was good until I towed all that weight. It just never came back. The front is fine. I just need to get new springs for the rear. Not that many companies make a 4", mostly 3" which doesn't look very good IMHO.

Thanks, I'll look into RE for the rear. Curt

Reply to
curt

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

the coil needs replacing :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > Thanks for any suggestions, : > Curt : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Dave Milne

Not sure why you are referring to me as a troll. Anyway, I started out in Sarasota with a trailer. The first two places I went wouldn't give me a trailer, because the Cherokee wasn't on the approved list for the one I needed. I got the trailer, loaded it and it was too light in the tongue. I was all over the road, but was going slow at the time. I have seen a few trailers go out of control before. I took some weights I had out of the trailer and put it in the rear of my Jeep. It worked out fine. I pumped the rear tires up to 40 lbs of pressure as suggested by a friend that tows all the time. That was very good advise as well. When I hit West Virginia, I saw a CAT weight station. I paid my $15 and got weighed out of curiosity. It came in at over 9,000++ lbs. Can't remember the exact number. I knew it was heavy, but not that heavy. I made it, but now I need new rear leafs.

If you feel I am some sort of troll, whatever. I am just trying to get some opinions on how to proceed. Feel free to put me on ignore. You did mention Borla to me when I was looking to change my exhaust. I bought it.

Enjoy, Curt

Reply to
curt