Shock Question

I have the RE 4.5 Super-Flex kit in the garage but the Doestch shocks are backordered a good three weeks. I liked them because they are good and inexpensive (Cheap) and if I break one, so what. So, what would be a good alternative - even higher priced. What's your favorite. I've heard Rancho's are too stiff. Thanks!

Andy

2001 TJ Getting built
Reply to
Andy

"OME have an excellent reputation, as do Doetch Tech DT-3000 shocks for less than half the cost of the OME shocks. Bilstein has good shocks for TJs too but you have to make sure they are the models SPECIFICALLY valved for the TJ or you'll just get their regular gas-charged shocks which are generally too stiff. I agree that the Rancho R5000 and RSX shocks are not a good choice, neither is ProComp's ES-3000 which is as stiff as the R5000 is."

I'd add Edelbrock IAS Performers to the list as well.

Dave

I have the RE 4.5 Super-Flex kit in the garage but the Doestch shocks are

Reply to
David C. Moller

Thanks Dave, it's either OME or RE shocks. I can't wait for Doestch to fill my order so it's one of those unless anybody else has a favorite.

Andy

2001 TJ
Reply to
Andy

Hi Andy,

OME nitros are the cat's nuts. I got them with the RE 4.5" lift for my XJ. They handle great on road with a firm ride and no lateral slop when cornering. They stand up to real hard hits with no bottoming out. I now fear no pot hole. When slow crawling over broken ground in low range, the OMEs behave like soft hydros and allow fully responsive, uninhibited articulation.

Yes, they're more than twice the price of Doestch, but they really do perform with their continuous response from slow crawl to hard hit. Also, with the four coils on your TJ, I suspect you'd find the OMEs will significantly dampen the oscillating 'bouncy buggy' effect that can hit you when digging for traction on a lose surface incline.

The other half of the equation is durability. I won't say they're a better value than Doestch unless they have a significantly longer life. I've only had mine for half a year so I'll have to wait and see.

Steve

Andy wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Hey thanks Steve,

That's quite an endorsement. It's a good name brand so I'll try 'em.

Thanks,

Andy

2001 TJ

Reply to