Should I buy a 91 Cherokee?

I am looking at a 1991 Cherokee with 136,000 km on it. Great body with just a little paint bubbling on the passenger side. One owner who bought it new then went to a van and traded the Jeep for it. Asking price of 3500 CAD. Starts good, a little engine noise on startup then quiets down after 10 sec or so. I always take used vehicles to my mechanic before buying but want to get some feedback before I spend the money. I am aware of some of the things that can go wrong but would like some information from owners first so that I can ask the right questions. Thanks

Reply to
ba5416

These are durable vehicles, and $3,500 CAD seems like a good price. (That's about $250 USD, isn't it? ;o) Which engine and transmission does it have? (Most people want the bloated, oversized, inefficient six, but some are happy with the lean, mean, high-revving four.) If you get it, grind off the paint bubbles, treat the rust underneath with a neutralizing product like Naval Jelly, and paint over it. Don't bother trying to match the color too closely, or you will destroy the "character" of the repair.

Earle

ba5416 wrote:

Reply to
Earle Horton
1991 with only 136,000 km's on it..... What are you waiting for??? I got my 1993 (in 1997) with 172,000 km's on it. now it has 360,000 km's.

The biggest thing I would check carefully would be the floor, when you take it to your mechanic see if he will lift out the seats for you. My floor rusted out right above the frame rails (hollow) and on the side of the tranny hump above the cat.

These things are dependable and rugged (as 1 deer and a couple of blue haired grannies proved), Mine has never totally let me down (knocking on wooden head), fairly easy to work on and great in the snow and ice (as long as you know yours and the j**p's limits.)

Reply to
Snow