stablizer bar question....

Hi

I have a '97 GC, and i THINK the bushings on the front stalilizer bar may be bad. I know there are a lot of possibilities for the noise i hear, but i have noticed a 'scrunching' sound when i go over some depressions in the road. I can pull the stabilizer bar from side to side, perhaps 1/4 inch, and it makes a similar sound when it moves. Should i be able to move the bar at all? Are the bushings difficult to replace? It appears to have some sort of cover over the bushing clamps, but I haven't crawled under the jeep yet to see if the cover needs to be removed. Will I have to remove the links? Any other noticeable symptom that I'm missing that would prove these bushings are bad?

thanks!

cal

Reply to
Cal

Cal did pass the time by typing:

It can move, but shouldn't move too easily.

only if you don't have the tools. :)

It does, Your looking at a plastic deflector that is held in my christmas tree pegs or bolts depending on the time of mfg.

You should do it all at once, but no.

Howto:

DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

^^ by

fooey. :)

Reply to
DougW

Cal,

My wife has a 97 Jeep G.C. like the one you own. I had a similar issue with noises coming from the front end, a dry rubber type noise that you described and and clunk whilst turning.

The clunk was the panhard bar (track bar), it is a bear to get to but not difficult to r & r. Incidentally, some posters have said that they played heck getting the track bar ends to line up, using jacks, rough language, and other means of persuasion. It's much simpler to get someone to turn the steering wheel (which will move the car - not the wheels - when the bar is disconnected.

The dry rubber noise you described can be fixed with nothing more than a shot of silicon lube, one that does not harm rubber. Don't waste money on replacing the mounts, they don't need it.

My $.02 worth.

RAH out. ==================== Cal wrote:

Reply to
flyairam

Thanks for the info! I will check it out..

cal

Reply to
Cal