Steel Hardtop for CJ5

I have a 1981 CJ5 and (an original) steel hardtop. I think its original. Or it is possibly Jeep aftermarket. But it has the Jeep logo and an Ohio mfg tag. I am going to strip and repaint. Does anyone know if this came original? Here is a picture

Thanks, Brad

Reply to
Ghostbuster

I've seen several CJ5s around here with similar hardtops, but no one knows who made them. Who is the mfr shown on the tag? I'm certain it wasn't Jeep.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I've been following this group for about 2 months now, and Bill, I'm freakin' amazed at the volume of pertinent URL's (not to mention the number of useful posts) you offer.

I've learned a ton in the past two months and have bookmarked so many pages! I wish I knew about this group the first time I owned a CJ (and gave up on her.)

Thanks again,

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Ok, you ruined it for me. I pictured some guy thumbing through his personal library of hundreds of spot-on URL's, just plucking the right ones for each thread. :)

My previous "thanks" still applies though.

Reply to
Rob

Thanks.

-Bill

Rob wrote:

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Amen! If it's a "real Jeep" , ask Bill. If it's a POS new Jeep "Poser", ask Bill...

Reply to
Jerry McG

I might be wrong, but that top was only offered with the military contract for that year. There is a guy out here (Calif) that bought a CJ5 like yours, and it has the steel top. He knows for certain that his has a military background, and was never a civilian jeep.

Reply to
CRWLR

Thanks Bill, I think its the Meyer CJ5 full cab. Brad

Reply to
Ghostbuster

Just remember - real web pages are done in Notepad.

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Then... If it was a military Jeep is it really a CJ?

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

So, my unReal '90 XJ that never saw military service or jointed a reserve unit is Really a CJ? Cool. ;)

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Technically, no. But I think that by the 80s when the military was buying them, they got a stripped CJ with a hard top. I had the same question, and after inspecting the paperwork, the only conclusion I could come up with was that the military did get some CJ5s with hard tops. They had low-back seats and no floor coverings. The roll bar is not the same as we would expect either.

Reply to
CRWLR

Except they didn't make M38-A1s in 1981 or 82, whatever. I have seen, ridden in, and repaired an '81 or '82 CJ5 with a steel hardtop. It has a full pedigree that shows it's only life was with the US Army, so we know it is in fact a CJ5 and not an M38-A1.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
Jim85CJ