soft top storage

until i can build a hardtop hoist (hopefully in the next few weeks) ill be leaving the hardtop on my jeep. in the meantime im trying to figure out what you guys do with a tj soft top when its off the jeep. it doesnt fold up due to the frame, its to big to lay flat, and it wont stand up because of the bends in the frame. any tips would be appreciated.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

it doesnt appear to be totally removeable from the frame......unless im missing something. i was going to put some large hooks on my garage wall for my hard doors anyway, i suppose i could use them for the soft top for now. i was just wondering if there were any better ideas floating around before i start drilling for hooks.

im in the process of designing one out of light gauge tubing that folds up when the top is on the jeep. more on that later. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nathan:

I fold down my '02 TJ soft top every fall and wrap it up in a large painter's drop cloth. I fold it up as tightly as possible then wrap the drop cloth around it, then use packing tape around the drop cloth, then I hang it on two large hooks (from Home Depot) high up on the garage wall.

The frame sticks out a little but it stays that way all winter and the drop cloth protects it from dust, dirt, etc.

I leave the hardtop on from about November till March (Cleveland winters stink), then the soft top goes back on for the spring and summer.

Tom

Reply to
mabar