Straighten roll cage ??

Some of you may recall I rolled my Jeep earlier this year. Based, in part on some of the great advice I got from this group - I was able to get it straightened out and back together. I've had it running for a few months and all in all it turned out OK --- however ----

Since the weather is starting to change I decided it was about time to slide the hard top back on. This is the first time I've tried this since the roll. Pre-roll the top fit on great. It appears the roll cage is bent as a result of the roll over.

Soooo- my question......How can I straighten the roll cage ? The roll bars have bent over to the driver side and the hard top is sitting too far over so it is not setting on the rear lip of the tub

I have a full 4 point roll cage. I still have the stock roll change that mounts to the tub just behind the front seats and to the top of the rear wheel tubs. Then I have 4 tubes connecting the top rear part of the roll bar to the front which drop down just in front of the dash board. Pretty standard set up. At any rate, the 4 mount point on the tub may have changed slightly since the roll but I think most of the bend is happening within the tubes. It looks as if I need to pull the roll cage over about an inch as measured from the top bend.

Make sense ????

Thanks - John.

------- Remove the 'NOSPAM' to email me

Reply to
John B. Parisi

Hi John, Cut a 4X4 to fit across the roll bars base, fender to fender, then use a trucker's chain tightener like pictured on the right side of:

and pull diagonally. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com "John B. Parisi" wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks to all those that sent email with their ideas. I tried 2 different approaches but one worked much better. Figured I would share given some of you may need this info at some point....

My roll bar was bent due to a roll over. The entire roll cage was leaning to far to the driver side (over side to side about an inch). I did not worry too much about it until I tried to put my hard top on and it would not fit. So I had to straighten the roll cage & here is how I did it.....

I used a come along connected diagonally from the bottom of the rear part of the roll bar (just behind the front seat) to the top of the rear roll bar. Then I tightened it up. I wrapped a chain around to present the come-along from sliding downward. I did the same to the from part of the roll cage (in my Jeep, the front part of the cage mounted in the tub straight down from the dash board). After pulling the front together, I did the back again All in all the roll cage straightened enough to get the top to set just right.

The other approach was using a friends Jeep & Winch to pull on the top of the roll bar in the direction I needed it. That moved things over as long as there was pressure but as soon as we released the winch - it went right back. We pulled the winch as tight as it would go without rolling again......in fact we had both driver side wheels clear off the ground.

Thanks again..... John

Reply to
John B. Parisi