Switching my jeep's 2.5L L4 Engine with a 6cylinder 4.0L

I have boughten a 1992 Jeep wrangler last year and love it. I drive it around alot. it has approx 155,000The only problem i have is it seems to be under powered. It has a 5 speed transmission but overdrive is useless in it because it doesnt have enough power. Then when i drive it in 4th gear at 60 it is up to 3 1/2 grand. I was wondering if any one knew if i should just rebuilt it or if i should find a bigger engine. I have looked around and was also wondering if i would switch the 4 cylinder with the six if i could use the same transmission and engine mounts and everything eles.

Reply to
Jeff

This engine is designed to run at 3500 all day, and it won't hurt it. Fifth gear is indeed useless. Once you get used to that, you will realize that the vehicle is driveable. The swap you are talking about is possible, but the transmission will have to be changed. Unless you find a wrecked six cylinder vehicle of the same year or close, and free labor, it is probably not worth it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle Horton did pass the time by typing:

Or go with a taller gear in the diffs. That will give you better acceleration in 1st and put you in 5th on the highway.

Reply to
DougW