Weber linkage help

I am helping to salvage a junkyard find -- 1972 Bay bus with a type 4 engine. Previous owner has installed a single, center mounted, Weber 2bbl mainfold and carb. Carb is oriented with linkage on drivers side of vehicle. Stock accelerator cable passes through engine tin approx 10" to drivers side of vehicle centerline. Existing carb linkage rotates clockwise and actuator must be pulled straight down. ( Linkage arm can be rotated 180 deg to move straight UP.)

Accelerator does not work since it pulls parallel to the floor of the bus --

90 deg from linkage required motion.

Now the questions:

1) Is the carb oriented properly or does it need to rotate 180 deg ? 2) CIP lists part #C13-43-0602 - UNIVERSAL LINKAGE KIT FOR ALL WEBER 2BBL PROGRESSIVE CARBURETORS. Will this solve my problem? 3) Has anyone used this setup before? What do I need to make it work?

Thanks,

-- Chris Corfias

71 SB convert 78 bay bus

snipped-for-privacy@allOVEtel.net

Reply to
tim horvath

Regarding the linkage geometry, I can't be much assistance to you. But I can say this..

I had a progressive 32/36 DFEV in my beetle with the redline "premium" heated manifold. Suffice to say, it had an awful off idle bog, and no matter how much idle jet or accel pump changes I did, the bog was always present. Even with an SVDA distributor, the bog was always there.

Should I have used a different cam? Possibly.. I never solved it. On the T4, I'm sure the runner lengths are shorter, and that might have been the main problem with a T1 setup.

Good luck getting your Weber to behave even after you solve the linkage issue. Sorry for the tone of this. I just couldn't get the carb to behave. The carb did add more giddy-up once you were off the bog.

Go with dual 40IDFs with the enrichment circuit, or any other pair of carbs on _short_ runners for a better setup, IMHO.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Reply to
ilambert