TJ Flares

I noticed small cinders had worked their way between the rear fender flares and the body of my '03 TJ. I took off the passenger side one and cleaned it yesterday but when I put it back together I noticed enough of a small gap where it will probably happen again. Has anyone ever dealt with this? I'd like to find a way to seal it up for good.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ken Knapp

RTV?

Weather stripping?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Nice Jeep Bill! Is it yours?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Knapp

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

"This Jeep, like some other Navy Jeeps, may have originally been painted by Kaiser in Olive Drab" :-)

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
twaldron

how big are those tires on there bill, and what gears are U runnin?

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Does anyone have pics of a TJ without flares? Now ya have me wanting to take mine off. And is it legal in florida?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

The problem is it is a flexible part to steel and you are looking for a filler. I don't know of anything that will really bond there without either trapping moisture or outgassing and eating the steel like silicone or RTV will do. Windshield sealer would seal it, but be sticky. Maybe that seam sealer the factory uses on the body panels would hold.

Find someone really good with a belt sander and make them flat again like they do with heads?

Mike

Ken Knapp wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Flareless is for off road only.

You'll blind any driver behind you on a wet road and if he's a cop, you'll get a ticket.

Steve

Troy wrote:

Reply to
Steve

AH yes, rain, wasn't thinking on that one.

Thanks for sending the links to the pics... I really enjoy checking out other people's jeeps for ideas and other stuff. Is there anywhere I can find more pics of people's jeeps?

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I have a mess of trip photo albums located at Sony's Imagestation. They used to be open to all, but now they want folks to join to view. It isn't a bad site, they don't spam and if you join you have a free place to post your own photos.

'Most' of the folks in these shots are from this newsgroup.

Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Aug/01

16/02
Easter/02
Trip Misc.
build
03
11/04
04

Mike

Troy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ken, Buy 3/16 inch thick closed cell weatherstripping with one self adhesive surface. Remove fender flares and clean both fender flare and jeep body. Attach sticky side to fender flare and bolt it back on. I did this 2 years ago with my replacement Bestop flares and have had no problems. Hope this helps. Regards,

Guri Sandhu

98TJ

Ken Knapp wrote:

Reply to
sandhug

Thanks! That sounds like just the ticket.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Knapp