TO PING OR NOT TO PING?

ULB --

I did take it to the dealer quite a while back, but according to them it's another one of those "normal" things that a jeep does. They took a ride out in it with me, and did hear the noise I was referring to. It very well could be normal since I have heard it since I bought it new. They told me not to worry that it was completely normal.

Also, I noticed that today after my gas tank got to the 3/4 tank full mark, the noise I was describing in a previous post that I thought was pinging completely went away again. Seems to only do it until the first 1/4 tank of gas is used up. This is the second tank in a row that it has done this then quit like that. Then it quits. I also discovered that the 'pinging/tapping' noise I was hearing that sounded like my side windows flapping on the metal support bow was indeed just that. The wind was a bit stronger today than it has been the last couple of days, and it was flapping faintly and heavily -- each time when the wind was blowing. One down, a couple more to go. : D

Reply to
Tracie

Chris -- Is that faint ticking sound from the injectors a steady and rhythmic sound? It's not intermittent, correct? If that's what I am hearing, I bet I am hearing it at highway speeds because I have a soft top, and there is next to no insulation in it.

Reply to
Tracie

Speaking of bad advice lets look at some I have highlighted

SBJ: Dumb brake question

SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01

Heatwave

Yes, it will be a steady rhythmic ticking sound that is proportional to engine RPM. If you start your Jeep with the hood open, you will probably be able to hear the injectors. You can compare that sound to what you're hearing on the road. The only difference will be the frequency of the clicking.

To answer your other question about timing, the computer will correct your timing, so that won't work. I would be quite surprised if your engine is actually pinging under the conditions you are describing unless there is an issue with the fuel you're using, but like someone else said, you can try a tank of 92 octane to see if it helps.

Chris

That could very well be a worn distributor bushing. Check the distributor for oil (that shoud not be there)

DougW

there)

Chris --

I think this is what I am hearing then. I paid special attention this morning on my commute to work, and this is what I noticed:

In 5th gear going 60 mph at approximately 2200 RPMs, that noise is there but it is very quiet. The faster I go, the louder it gets. It never gets REALLY loud, just more noticeable. And the sound is steady and rhythmic. Not intermittent at all. When I let off the accelerator at say 65 mph, it gets quieter and quieter until speed is around 60 mph. Then it's just hardly noticeable. When I speed back up to 65 mph, same result. This noise steadily gets louder until it's more noticeable.

Doug -- Thanks for that tip. I'll check the distributor when I get out of work today just as a precaution. I doubt that's it, but you never know. I'll take any advice I can get (as long as it's within reason : D).

Reply to
Tracie

No post here would be complete without a a comment from a troll with a ego problem. See trolls like this would never be in a forum because they would get banned. Only here can they act out their fantasies.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Don't bother checking the distributer as your 4.0L Jeep doesn't have one. :-) They got a coil pack/rail now. No more ignition wires

Reply to
FrankW

there)

You 'sure' are 'not' describing engine ping.

You also don't have a distributor to go bad.

A stone stuck in a tread can cause a strange ticking that gets louder with speed, so can a leak in the exhaust.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

there)

Oh, I didn't realize that I don't have a distributor. Goes to show you how much I am still learning! ; ) I know there are a few stones stuck in the treads. I'll clean them out tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Is there a sure-fire way to tell if I have a leak in the exhaust?

Reply to
Tracie

LOL!

Stones in 'my' tires drive me nuts with a strange ticking, I hate it so I always go after them on sight.

You also 'really' have to watch out on gravel roads with those tires. The stuck stones let go at speed and the 'TWANGGGGG' as one bounces off the roll bar by your ear is a very unnerving noise. The Howl when one nails your elbow you had out the window is worse! I now know to keep my arms 'inside' when on gravel roads...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Mike -- Thanks for that entertaining tip. I'll have to keep that in mind when travelling with my arm out the window! Sounds like that could hurt just a smidge.

As for the exhaust, any ideas on how to tell if there's a leak?

Reply to
Tracie

Engine ping would cease immediatly once you let off the accelerator, it wouldn't just die down. It's not pinging.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Here's those links again that snoball keeps hiding. SBJ: Dumb brake question

SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
I could post more but I think these summarize his stupidity the best.

Thats funny considering we keep finding your profile banned in forums.

--------------------------------------- snoman

Reply to
Heatwave

Ah yes, this is #1 on the list.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The garages use a stethoscope with an open tube end around here to check all the joints for leaks when you take a vehicle in for a safety certification. This has to be done before they will give you plates.

Some of the 'leaks' that I have seen them find were just plain ridiculous to me, 'but' CO isn't anything to fool with.

You could use a piece of garden hose with one end held to your ear, or even maybe fish tank tubing or vacuum line or tranny line, with a funnel stuck in the ear end.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Thanks. I'll have to try that.

Reply to
Tracie

I would pull out the rocks from the tires first...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

He wasn't referring to you Tracie, Snoman prefers to criticize Mike Romain than add anything original himself. As Mike said, I can't see how your engine would be pinging at 2500 rpm.

Reply to
Dave Milne