Tom woods story

I bought a slipyoke kit that was cut and resplined along with a custom driveshaft. The first night I took out the Jeep the tailshaft broke. He replaced it with a heavy duty one. I was happy, 6 months goes by my cv joint goes bad. I had to pay for shipping both ways and he replaced the cv joint for free, but he charged me $70 to grind the cv joint so it would flex better or have more room instead of binding up. A year later while on a trip 800 miles away the cv joint goes bad again, to make this short I spend the weekend in a campground waiting for another driveshaft that I paid another $230 plus $60 for shipping. I also had to pay for the towing bill, a uhaul to my destination, and my tcase was leaking because of the driveshaft binding up cracked the back half of the case, which I had to pay for. Well tonight I crawled under the Jeep to find that my bellhousing is cracked also, this took place about three weeks ago. I know for a fact that it happend when the driveshaft went, even though I just now discovered it. Tom woods himself said he would look at the driveshaft (I sent the broke one back to him when I returned home) to see what happend. He didnt do that either. So he lied to me. This last one actually came apart, the cv joint actually split into seperate pieces. Here are some pics, Just telling you what happened to me.. If you buy one, carry a spare if you do. Trust me. Dan

Reply to
Dan

I ran one of Tom Woods his CV shafts in the rear of my YJ for years and never had a moments problems with it. When I installed an Atlas II Avalanche got a replacement from High Angle Driveline. I the sold Tom Woods shaft and it's been installed on someone else's YJ now for over a year and it's still going strong.

Have you got some extreme angularity issue or something else going on? Can't believe otherwise.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

My TW CV driveshaft is doing well after four years of HARD use. By the way, his name is Tom Wood, not Tom Woods.... minor point. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

-Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Thank you for the heads up.

Reply to
Harold Hoover

let me say this, I do have a belly up skid plate, obvisouly you have to give them the measurements and angles so they can build one hence custom driveshaft. If that was a problem on the first one that broke and they charged me $70 to grind it so that would solve the problem I can understand it. On the last one though it did so much damage and cost me so much money and he knew there was an angle problem because of the skid plate. Dont you think that he should have mentioned this. Then he told me that he doesnt sell another cvjoint that could solve the problem. Here is my point if he knew and had all the original measurements and and angles dont you think that he should have said something. He told me that the problem is the belly up skid plate, so if he knew this from the begining why did he take my money knowing that it wouldnt work. At first he really did take care of the issue with the broken tailshaft for the slipyoke kit, he really went out of his way actually. I just cant believe that he knew the angle was to much and when I tried to get a driveshaft that could take the angle he explained they dont have one. I guess I could be whining, but after all that money and no driveshaft thats worth a crap to me, wouldnt you feel ripped off. Dan

Reply to
Dan

for the past 3 years I have one of his CV shafts on my YJ and have never had a problem with it. I think you are an isolated case or more is going on than you are saying with your rig.

Scott

90YJ
Reply to
Foot Loose

Hey Dan, I had a Tom Woods om my TJ and it sucked so bad that the splines twisted. I had 31in tires at that time and I was pissed. The shaft was a week old when it happened. He would not replace shit. I had a custom one made at a local shop and it is still strong after all the abuse and 3yrs.

Reply to
Sump

You're supposed to lube them. They go bad if you don't.

Driveshaft binding is due to improper or excessive angles, or a shaft built to improper specs provided by the customer. These are what caused your problems, not an improperly built or defective driveshaft/joints.

now discovered it.

And how would you know that? Do you have any evidence or do you just think it did because you want someone to blame beside yourself?

He didn't lie to you. He was probably sick of your unreasonable whining.

Offroading is hard on equipment. Driveshafts get bent, CV joints and U-joints get broken. Perhaps you should pick a different sport.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

OK, did you change the angles for the rear pumpkin? You did put shims under the springs to bring the angle up, didn't you?

See the picture? Does your install look like this? Is your rear pinion inline with your driveshaft?

I bet it isn't.

Tony

PS If I f*ck up....there is no way I would bitch about the costs of fixing *my* fuckups. Especially for the world to see.

Reply to
Tony