Tow hook bolts

Ed,

I have a 94 YJ and the bolt part number for my tow hook bolts is:

J400 7467

I don't know if it is the same bolt.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Unless you park outside at night, the hooks will not grow legs. You want to use a Grade 5 bolt for that application. Grade 8 bolts take a higher stree exerted on the ends, but the Grade 5s take a higher sheer load. Most of us would spend whatever amount of dollars it took to get rid of those damn Torx bolts everywhere they exist. They are a complete pain in the ass.

Reply to
CRWLR

Use Grade 8 hex head bolts, available from any good industrial hardware store (Lowe's and Home Depot usually have grade 5, but not 8), or at any well stocked auto parts store.

You don't need torx head bolts. Tow hooks are probably the last thing thieves are interested in.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Oh, oh. The dreaded Grade 5 vs. Grade 8 debate. There are several schools of thought (involving engineering, metalurgy, etc.), but the bottom line is that you will probably rip the front bumper off your jeep before you will break either a Grade 5 or 8 tow hook bolt.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Does anyone know where I can get the proper bolts for the tow hooks. I ordered the hooks from the dealer and that's all that came, hooks. The stock bolts in the bumper are too short. I was told they can't be obtained by the dealer, though all the Wranglers on the lot come with tow hooks. I was told to go to Lowes. That had cap bolts but no Torx so that any bozo can't steal my hooks.

Reply to
Ed Persons

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The truth is that either of these will work just fine. As you said, the bumper will be ripped off before these fail. What is very important is to not use any grade lower than Grade 5.

Reply to
CRWLR

Agreed.

Reply to