TPS report

Sorry, had to. :)

Throttle Position Sensor. Code 24 for the ol beastie.

Symptoms: Hesitation when coming to a stop and sudden downshifts (mostly on the highway) when you let off the gas.

Followed the FSM and checked the units voltage. Didn't see any drops or "obvious" problems. But since I had a spare from the old throttle body, went ahead and swapped parts. (current TB is bored out for the supercharger) It came with all new parts.

So far so good.

Guessing it was a dead spot in the sensor. Probably where the vehicle sits at idle. Benching it only showed one little glitch that went away after cycling it back and forth. Indicative of a flat-spot on a rheostat.

There are a lot of TPS out there. From $19-$60! Most of the cheaper ones have bad reviews. But $60 for a friggin variable resistor?! JEEP == Just Empty Every Pocket. ^_^

Reply to
DougW

Sorry Doug, I cant help you on that one. Hell. I cant even spell TPS. I've heard of them going bad, but it beats the hell out of me where it's even located.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

And to think I had someone ask me, in a Jeep forum, " Why in the H*** would you want to get rid of a Renix injection system?" (88 Cherokee) when I mentioned I'd like to convert my XJ to a carbed 258 with a Torque Command automatic (now a BA10/5 trans).

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

True. But then again my Chevy's Rochester 4M4 nearly drove me up a friggin wall. Carbs just don't like it when you change altitude all the time. But it did work well after all the emissions crap was ripped out. :)

Reply to
DougW

Now you know why I liked Carter carbs best.

But in all honesty, if you leave the air valve control spring setting alone, the 4M series carbs worked very well and very dependably. Some dealers, however, didn't take the time to adjust , say for Denver, on new cars and a lot of ill-informed people thought that backing off the spring would make the car run better.

No carb really liked altitude changes because the jetting was essentially set for a certain air density (barometric altitude) and there just wasn't enough air mass to create the suction needed to flow the fuel correctly. For high altitudes you need a smaller carb or smaller jets. My 65 225 /6 with a Carter BBS single didn't gasp once going over CO's Monarch Pass while towing a 4500 pound trailer ... now the 9" drum brakes (65 Valiant), on the other hand, coming off the mountain . . . . . . . .

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran