Unable to change the rear passenger wheel on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I noticed the tire on my jeep was flat this morning, so I got out the jack and tried to change it.

When I jacked the car I noticed that the while the body was lifting, the wheel was not. I'm no mechanic, but I've changed wheels before (usually at night in the rain :-) ) and never had this problem.

Is there anything I should know about jacking up a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so that the wheel actually clears the ground?

Dave

Reply to
Kasterborus

When all else fails consult the owner's manual. Are you absolutely sure that you have the proper jack and that you are lifting by one of the manufacturer's approved lift points? If you are, it is normal for the body to lift a bit before the wheel moves. Keeping in mind that safety is of paramount importance, sometimes I resort to putting a scissor jack on top of a pad made out of a short section of 2x6. Never, ever use a cinder block or anything made out of conrete for this purpose. The jack I have is designed to fit under an axle, but that may not be true for your vehicle.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The little jack that comes in the WJ is for use under the rear axle by the shock mounts. It won't go high enough to use the frame lift points that a floor jack would.

Remember to break the lugs loose before lifting the vehicle, this will keep the jack from slipping. Spin the lugs on and snug making sure the lugs are seated, then lower the vehicle and apply the proper torque.

Precice instructions are in the vehicle manual. This gets close.

DougW

If this is the jack that came with the GC, your owner's manual will tell you where to put that jack. e.g. right near the link on the axle.

If this is not that jack, consider that you can probably crawl completely under that vehicle without any jack whatsoever.

Reply to
Lon