Vacuum system problems on 88 YJ

Hi All,

I have an '88 YJ 258 4.2 6cyl 5sp man that has failed several smog checks in CA. The vacuum hoses are all messed up and the vacuum advance on the distributor is always at full advance. Should there be something that controls the level of vacuum going to the distributor? In the vacuum diagram found here

it looks like there are several devices that I do not have. Can someone explain to me what the devices on the very bottom of the diagram are (vacuum switch assembly, idle/decel SW, F/delay, VAC RSVR and at the bottom left VAC RSVR w/CHK VLV)? Should they be on my model and if so, where can I buy them and how should I refer to them when ordering? Thanks for any help in advance. Steve.

Reply to
steve

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill gave you the links. Just FYI, the vacuum advance is manifold so it is on full at idle and drops when you floor it or is a combination so it seems always on. The computer is supposed to manage the timing advance.

There should be a round ball under the battery that is the vacuum reservoir.

Mike

steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain