Weird light problem

Hi everyone, I've got a 93 Jeep wranger, 4.0, inline 6, and it's developed a weird problem with the tail lights and I was wondering if anyone could help me pinpoint the problem..

Basically, the right turn signal won't blink.

When I step on the brake, the right brake light comes on but not as brightly as the left.

The hazzard lights flash dimly on the right side.

When I turn on the headlights, the rear tail light is brighter than the left tail light.

I can manually make the rear turn signal flash, but not when the healights are on.

I've tried the fuses, and they seem to be all right. Has anyone got any suggestions on it? Thanks everybody.

Reply to
strohbeer

Sounds like a bad connection, probably a ground. Being a '93 there is likely a lot of corrosion in the bulb socket or at the pigtail connection to the wiring harness. Bad contact can do funny things, I see it on trailers at work frequently.

It won't be a fuse, not likely the flasher unit, possibly a bad bulb, very likely a bad connection.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Cherokee-Ltd alleged...

Ditto what Brian said. Look for corrosion in the taillight assembly where water may have been getting in. Check for a good ground at the socket.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

That is either a broken bulb or the light fixture has lost it's ground so the signal and brake are stealing a ground through the running light.

The ground is the bolts that hold the fixture on if the socket isn't corroded. The running light has it's own ground through the harness.

I have seen lots of those bulb's glass come loose from the base causing your symptoms also.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy

try replacing the brake/turn bulb, commom for the element to brake and short/weld to the running lamp element with in the bulb.....

2157's are known to have this problem, it could be front or rear bulb. good luck!

Reply to
Tweakit