What is this bolt for??? 83 CJ7 258

I was leaking antifreeze and could not find where the hell it was coming from. Finally, I was looking at the motor and reving the engine and noticed antifreeze spraying out from under a bolt in the head right next to the firewall and next to the temperature sending unit (I think that's it...has a wire on it and goes through the firewall). As the motor reved, the harder it sprayed. The bolt simply goes into the head, doesn't hold anything down or seem to serve anyother purpose. After tightening it, no leak. It's on the driver's side of the motor. Any idea what this is?? Allen

Reply to
<ABanks5

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com ( snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com) wrote on Saturday 22 November 2003 05:20 pm:

Could be a number of things, given the wide variety of parts used. Maybe for an additional sensor for an on-board computer? Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
Michael White

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:20:14 GMT, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by :

If it was in the block I'd think it's a cooling-system drain plug, but I don't know of any head drains. Sure it's in the head, and not in the block just below the head?

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Yup. I'll have a picture of it soon. It's about 1/2 inch off the valve cover just next to the firewall and next to the temp sender. It's not at the back of the motor but on the driver's side. Allen

Reply to
<ABanks5

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill, thanks for the picture. It's perfect. I guess I didn't realize that half of the headbolts were under the valve cover and the other half are outside of the valve cover. Anyway, it IS in fact a head bolt that was leaking! What is your take on this? I'm suprised it was loose! I've replaced a head gasket on a Rabbit GTI once,..never on a Jeep. But in the picture, there are other holes spaced between the head bolts. What the heck are those for? They look like valve cover bolt holes but there are washers on the head bolts that hold my valve cover down on that side. Thanks again! Allen

Reply to
<ABanks5