When to wax a new Jeep?

Hello Group. I was told not to wax a new Jeep/car right away. When is the best time to wax it? Also anyone have any recommendations on protection of a new softtop? TIA Frank

Reply to
FrankW

I would sure be wanting to get a good coat on before salt season even if the paint is still a bit soft. Some of those waxes at the car washes do a little to help and you can go to a 'no touch' car wash.

If I was hand polishing, I wouldn't use power tools or buff it too hard.

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wax? what for?

Put it in away until winter

Just trying to help.

Reply to
Paul Calman

According to the Meguiars website:

"A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens. At a factory level, the car goes through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the car and it's fresh paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level insures the paint is fully cured by the time the car is completely assembled."

Reply to
Robert Bills

Dealers often wax cars before delivery as part of the prep.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

wax away and don't even worry about it, as far as a new car is concerned. If it was in a wreck, and was repainted it would probably be a different story. someone asked "Why wax?". Believe it or not, waxing your car can actually give you slightly better fuel economy as it reduces the drag of the air going across the surface. How much better mileage is surely minimal. But alot of small things add up. It also makes washing the dirt and bugs off alot easier and helps to protect against ultraviolet light.

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

yea, and add that no-extra-cost option during the 'prep' stage - SWIRLS. I insist they do nothing but get the plastic film off and the cosmoline (or whatever it is). I implore them to not even dry it afterwards.

then I do my work on it after I get home.

Reply to
Marc

If the dealer didn't wax it during the prep work I would wax mine. I've always found Turtle Wax the best or as good as any other product. The wax will give you an added protection from the bird crap that can 'blemish' the paint if not cleaned off soon. As for car washes - not me. IMHO. They wax your entire car and eventually the windows and wiper blades are fowled. The remedy for this is amonia on the windshield and emery cloth on the blades. I prefer to hand wash my car in the good weather months and mostly spray the salt off the top and not forgetting the crevices of the doors, hatch, hood, fenders, hardtop...you get the picture. Steve

Reply to
popeyeball

A Jeep has the aerodynamic properties of a brick. Perhaps with an air dam and a wing you might increase the mileage a bit, but why bother?

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
FrankW

Yup I git the picture. That's basically what I do.

On my third Jeep now. First one was a brand new 88YJ 4.2L traded it for a brand new 01TJ 4.0L. (Should've kept that 88YJ) Then just recently traded for a brand new 05TJ Rubicon. Jeepers! I've been driving a Jeep for 17 Years now. (Not counting the ol Jeep Willys I used to drive on the farm, I once worked at in my early teens) AND......LOVEIN IT!!. Cheers Frank

popeyeball wrote: snip: I prefer to hand wash my car

Reply to
FrankW