which radio to buy for my TJ??

slightly off topic but I want to know who has had what kind of luck with XM or sirirus I want to get a nice cd player for my trail buggy with satellite but not sure which one is better??? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

-- Jarod Sprauer

Talk is JEEP at

281-807-JEEP (5337)
Reply to
J. Sprauer

I got the Sirius radio for my gf at christmas, she drives a 2000 TJ.

I put the antennae on the front windshield wiper cowl, right in front of the driver's side. I also used the suction cup window mount, but I'm going to design a little console for the inside for it... Not many places for the thing to fit really in the cab that I know of. Pretty easy to install the thing.

There's a signal indicator for satellite and what I think is land towers/antennas (terra). I could pick up a signal with the antennae on top of the speaker box, under the soft top, but the signal was somewhat weak, but there for sure.

Now if you care about such things, Sirius is going to have Howard Stern, not XM. I don't listen to him anyways but she says she does.

It's pretty cool though, great not to have commercials but there's the occasional station identification, only lasts a couple seconds tho.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

I have an XM SkyFi in my TJ, I put the antenna on the roll bar and it works great through the hardtop. Sirius vs. XM is more a choice of taste: XM has NASCAR (for now), MLB, and NCAA football, where Sirius has Howard Stern, NFL and NHL. I will move to Sirius in 2007 with NASCAR (yes, I am a red-neck NASCAR fan, GO 48!).

Reply to
JimG

Jim,

Please tell us about the water adventure ride pix you have posted on Frappr!

Reply to
billy ray

I also got Sirius for Xmas. I mounted the antenna with velcro to the dash of my YJ. It works, but sometimes takes 5 min of "aquiring signal" before it works consistantly. Is that because it is inside the Jeep or due to my location?

If mounting the antenna to the hood makes it work instantly, id be willing to give that a try.

CTM

Reply to
testert555

Not to hi-jack this thread but, Indeed! Those are 35" BFG's drowning in that pool! When I eased off, I still hit my right rear corner and tail light. Quite a ride down that creek! Here is some recent pics from the same area... unfortunately I did not attend this day:

JimG

Reply to
JimG
48 & 24 !!!! i didnt know you could get nascar so they will be on sirius in 07?

Reply to
J. Sprauer

Sorry for hijacking the thread too, blame my hubby, he pointed it out. DANG! They are really tearing stuff up! Looks like all of those rigs have been turned into thrashers.

Thanks for telling us abotut the water pic, I was curious too.

But ON topic... I have the Sirius and I like it pretty well, I don't listen to sports of ANY kind, but the music selection is good. My KJ came equipped with it.

Kate

: > Please tell us about the water adventure ride pix you have posted on : > Frappr! : >

: :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Get NASCAR, Oh yea! Live broadcast of every race! Will they move to Sirius... that's what I hear... I hope XM finds a way to keep it though. I have invested in lots of hardware for XM.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Yep... those guys with the XJ's used to have nice CJ's and YJ's, but sold out and picked up the bangers to give it h$LL! I must admit... there is some attraction to that way of thinking.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

(and the hi-jack continues) I agree, it makes me think I should get something that I can tear up a little. Not that this is the first time the thought has crossed, but this time it is more prevalent than before.

KJK

: :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Don't worry, after a few years the dirt becomes just something on your Jeep. If your Jeep is clean, you're not driving it correctly!

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Well the darn thing has North Carolina mud all over it right now!

I just don't want to tear it up for a few years. I want to play but not ruin it. It's only a few months old!

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Mine is clean, especially the engine bay. Just takes me a bastard long time to clean it after I've been in mud .. I don't like dirty engines, as it makes it more difficult to spot leaks and things.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

I'm the same way. I always keep my engine bays as clean as I can. The bay on my Cobra looked like new when I traded her in.

KJK

: > I just don't want to tear it up for a few years. I want to play but not : ruin : > it. : > It's only a few months old! : >

: > KJK : >

: > "Scott in Baltimore" wrote in message : > news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... : > : KJ.Kate wrote: : > : > (and the hi-jack continues) : > : > I agree, it makes me think I should get something that I can tear up a : > : > little. Not that this is the first time the thought has crossed, but : > this : > : > time it is more prevalent than before. : > : : > : Don't worry, after a few years the dirt becomes just something on your : > Jeep. : > : If your Jeep is clean, you're not driving it correctly! : >

: >

: :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

My antenna was factory ounted to the top of my rig at the back above the gate. The only time I have trouble is when I am under an overpass, in the garage or tucked in below high cliffs... I would bet that the reason you are having trouble is that it's inside the vehicle. Especially since you can get a signal when you place the antenna on the hood.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Well....

I always recommend a mud bath for those folks with hard to find oil leaks. Seriously. Once the mud dries, it is really easy to see where any leaks come from.

Mike

Mike Romain

When on the dash the windshield frame and wipers can cause problems. Try it on the roll bar... mine works great there. Satellite antennas will pickup fine through canvass and fiberglass; its metals and rock that give them difficulties.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

"KJ.Kate" > I just don't want to tear it up for a few years. I want to play but not ruin

no comment

Snow...

Reply to
Snow