wiring frustrations!

89 Cherokee Limited ,4.0, AW-4, 4X4, cruise, A.C., power windows, power seats, power locks (keyless module removed).

When I signal a left turn, the park light, taillights, clock and radio dial flash also.

Repaced bulbs thinking one had shorted, checked ground wire conections, replaced flashers and inspected turn signal switch for physical damage.

HA-A-A-A-A-ALP!!!!!! People look confused when I make left turns.

Budd

Budd Cochran

99% certainty it's a grounding issue. Most likely the ground return back at the tail lamp on the left side. Check every bulb and check the ground wire for rot. Just because it has some continuity doesn't mean it has enough. One way to see is if you put a volt meter between the ground wire by the bulb and the chassis and run the blinker, the meter will twitch.

Also check the sockets for any melt damage. Usually when the bulb wears it causes a melty spot.

DougW

Lemme know when you get that.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks, Doug!

I checked front and rear grounds when I swapped bulbs, but I might have missed something.

One concern is I've found a bunch of nest materials in the driver's door ... yep, she's been sittin' and the creatures made nests, so I'm still going to pull covers, panels, etc and go thru the wiring looking for gnawed spots.

Thanks again,

Budd

Budd Cochran

I've been doing this stuff for over 40 years, and I agree with Doug

100%, this is classic symptoms of a bad ground. Bad grounds cause the voltage to seek other paths to ground, which is what causes odd lights to come one. For example, the turn signal ground is open, so it 'back feeds' through the stop light, and the tail lights. This puts a voltage on the tail lights, which then causes things like the dash lights to come on dimly, the back feed to the stop light can cause the cruise control to cut out (or just not work) and all kinds of really odd things...

Another thing to always check, (I don't think it is your problem) is the trailer connectors. Excessive corrosion can lead to leakage between stop/turn/tail lights which creates odd problems... Don't ask how many times I've learned this!

LED bulbs are much worse in this respect, they can light up surprisingly bright with a few volts, which is worse.

Reply to
PeterD

No LED's and I removed a poorly installed set of U-Haul trailer lighting adaptors and taped the nicks in the insulation.

After I sort out the light probs, I'll install a trailer adaptor from the parts XJ which I had been driving until a couple rods decided to let go. It's a J.C. Whitney unit but it works great.

Thanks!

Budd

Budd Cochran

Well ... gettin' closer to the prob ... I think.

Ran three new grounds: right rear, left rear, left front (all over 1 ohm from sockets to ground, now reads meter zero, 0.05 ohm, with new grounds) and found a no power situation on the right front park light socket but the turn signal works.

Now the fun part: while jiggling and pulling on wires to trace the park light power prob, the left turn light started flashing correctly.

So, I've got to pull the grille surround, headlights, turn/park lights and the battery so I can dig into the harness.

Good thing tomorrow's weather is supposed to be warmer (Canon City CO).

Budd

Budd Cochran

If you trap a cat in there, it helps keep the critters out. Not that many cats like the taste of wiring, but keep it well fed anyway.

Reply to
Lon

Judging by the condition of the XJ when I got it, the critters had been in residence for a few years. There were probably cats already around it.

After I get the wiring fixed then it's time to look at pulling the head and fixing / replacing lifters or pushrods ... it's got some valetrain noise.

(mantra) I love my Jeep, I love my Jeep, I love my (J)ust (E)mpty (E)very (P)ocket.

Budd

Budd Cochran

I'd bet it's the ground circuit in the bulb socket it's self. I've replaced tons of them for problems like this. Many times the turn indicator on the dash will glow when the headlights are on too.

Reply to
bllsht

Nope, it wasn't a bad ground. It was damage from rodents.

Budd

Budd Cochran