clutch fork problem on a 66 mustang

Hey y'all i have a problem.

I have a 66 mustang with a 289 and 3 speed manual. The other day my throw-out bearing crapped out. I got a new one and put it in and put the tranny back in. When i tried to put the clutch fork in, the gap was too small for the bearing! After all this work the thing doesnt fit....probably should have checked it before doing all the work huh....live and learn i guess.

So what id like to know is this...Why is the bearing bigger than the fork? Did the bearing size change around that time and i got stuck with the wrong one? Would i be able to get a new clutch fork with a larger diameter gap between the prongs? If so...what vehicles can i pull it off of (from a junk yard or pick-a-part)? If nothing else, could i just heat up my current forks prongs and try to bend them out till it fits?

The difference is small, about 1/8 of an inch or so. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Errol Smith

Sounds like you got the wrong part. That's a road you don't want to go down. Take it back out, compare it to the original, and go back to the parts store.

Reply to
.boB

I was hoping i wouldnt have to do that. I dont exactly have the facilities to be pulling a tranny every weekend. I found the problem though. I was just low on elbow grease. Gave it one good push and in it popped. What a difference a good throwout bearing makes!

Anyways...thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Errol Smith