YJ front locker?

She has a YJ with a vacuum disconnect on the front locker's axle for tight turns that only needs a shift lever move....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > She will be pleased with a lunchbox up front. If corning on trails becomes
Reply to
Mike Romain

Ah, thats right. A posi-lock is pretty cheap.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

My opion hsa been based on his stupid answer and if you think theey are intelligent than you are in the same boat as him. Ignoring the physics involved does not render them moot but you both seem to think it does.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Torque ster is less noticable in snow then hard surfaces and i have NEVER seen a 4x4 with a solid front axle with good traction that did not torque steer in a tractive suface in a tight turn, NEVER. You just take it as normal and do not know that there is a difference. I have been driving them for over 35 years now have you?

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

How is it when you are the one "casting the bait" that they are the ones trolling?

Reply to
Heatwave

Clearly Snoboy is flustered.

In snoboy speak that translates to: "Cleraly Snoboy si flustured."

Reply to
Heatwave

Well of COURSE you will have BINDING on a high traction surface with any 'part time' locked transfer case. But BINDING is NOT Torque Steer (your term). On any turn, the front wheels (note that this is PLURAL as in TWO of them) (sorry, I have to be REALLY expicit for retards) will travel a different distance than the corresponding rear wheels. With the locked transfer case, something must slip or give.

But of course, the standard advice to newbies is to NEVER EVER run a part time transfer case > >

Reply to
RoyJ

I have a Lockrite in my 91 YJ. I have no problems with it. Turning radius is decreased in 4x4 mode, but who cares. After two years of 4 wheeling, I did have to replace the springs in it for $20.

Lock-rite cost less than $200 and you can install it with out reseting the ring and pinion gears.

Reply to
Bob

Thanks for the info!

Earle

contributing

understeer.

Reply to
Earle Horton

I bought an old Scout from from the DNR when the AF decided I needed a tour in WI. Thing had positraction front and rear and I did like Mike - ran the hubs locked most of the time. I really couldn't tell any difference with the hubs unlocked until a front U-joint went south on the driveshaft - the unloaded shaft really rattled around spinning in 2wd!

After my first (and last) encounter with 3 inches of snow over an inch of ice, the front posi came out but that was preference, not necessity or ill mannered steering.

Reply to
Will Honea

I hit a long downhill stretch of semi-frozen slush Sunday with the Wrangler in four wheel drive. Amazing how the front and rear want to switch places, even with open differentials.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I live in New England and drive in snow and semi-frozen slush a lot and I have yet to spin out or have a problem. Maybe speed was an issue.

2006 Jeep Wrangler X Stock Tires.
Reply to
SkyKing49

Duh.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes, but you are a zillion time closer to control than most passenger cars. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

LOL God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

If I had had the nerve to goose the accelerator a little I know I could have pulled right out of it. What I did was stay off the brakes and steer with the skid. But it over-corrected three or four times on me. San Juan Mountains are not suitable for four wheeling yet, heh, but the snow pack is pretty light. Look for a good year, but you might have to pack water and there may be camping restrictions like there were five years ago.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It 'sure' takes practice to be comfortable 'on the gas' in situations like that doesn't it.

I grew up in an ice storm central area so learned young. :-)

I used to take out groups here to the local mud pits come first freeze up to learn how to feel comfortable running pit walls up and down in snow and ice. I recommend that to all. At least practice in an empty parking lot come first snow.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > If I had had the nerve to goose the accelerator a little I know I could have
Reply to
Mike Romain

I "practiced" in a 1962 Volkswagen sedan with five people in it, wow thirty-five years ago or more. Lost it halfway down a long icy hill in Western Massachusetts, women screaming in the back, guy in the middle saying, "Easy Earle, you've got it now". Steer with the skid and you are OK. The first time trying to slow with engine braking in a front drive car was a surprise.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I have a detroit in the rear, and a lunch box up front on my TJ. I like it a lot. In 2wd, the front isn't noticed, in 4wd, it still turns fine.

John > Sno,

Reply to
John in Vegas

Yup, that's why they forced antilock brakes on us. Now instead of skidding sideways, or piling up a little snow in front of a wheel, we blow right through stop signs. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III