2000 Spectra-Door Control Rod

I have a 2000 Kia Spectra GS with manual door locks.

Yesterday while opening the front driver's door, I heard a click and felt the door handle slip a bit. At the time I thought the handle had just slipped through my fingers and thought nothing else about it.

However, the next time I unlocked the door and tried to open it the handle wouldn't raise completely and I couldn't open the door. I ended up entering from the passenger side, unlocking the door and opening it from the inside. Uugghh!

I've reviewed the

service manual and belive the problem may be with the control rod; either it became disconnected or is broken.

Is this a normal occurrence? Is this something I could easliy take care of myself (take door apart, etc), or should I take it to an authorized service center for repair?

-farm2001a

Reply to
farm2001a

Probably a broken spring on the door latch. Prepare to have a new one put on. It will be difficult to open the door without breaking the trim panel.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Well, whatever happened to the door seems to have fixed itself. After exiting the car today, I inadvertently tested the handle to make sure I'd engaged the manual lock. This time I felt another "click" and the door handle moved fully. It now works as its supposed to.

I suspect the spring must have gotten reset into the correct position. Is that a valid assumption?

Reply to
farm2001a

I'm surprised. I suppose that could have happened. Usually the spring breaks.

Reply to
hyundaitech