2001 Kia Sportage - acceleration problems

Hey guys, I just found out about this site, lots of great info here!

I'm currently having a problem with my wife's Kia sportage, I'm driving it for hey until I can figure out what's wrong.

The problem is this: Whenever I shift gears and accelerate, it starts spurtering a little and seems to grind down, then, it suddenly smooths out and starts hauling ass, like it over accelerates.

1) The Check Engine light is on, and flashes at times. 2) Just put a brand new battery in, didn't help (it needed a new one anyway though).

Could this be a fuel injector or timing belt problem? If you need more input, just ask and I'll be happy to get you anymore info you need.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Mkent667

03 Rio was doing the same thing someone suggested the fuel injector cleaner spray. I have never been a big believer in fixes in a can but this one did work. Remove air filter , have wife start car , make sure life insurance policy is up to date , have her run it above the normal idle speed and spray it into the intake or as instructions state on the can . A lot of impressive black smoke came out of my exhaust and it ran great afterwards. If you have doubts about the mileage on the timing belt , get it replaced , a lot quicker and cheaper than and engine repair.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

"Mkent667" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

It's not likely the timing belt. While it is possible for one to lose a few "teeth" and slip, they usually just snap and the engine won't run at all. When the check engine light flashes that means you have a serious problem. Get to an auto part store and have them put an OBD scanner on it. That should tell you exactly what your problem is. My guess is a bad sensor (oxygen, air flow, or throttle position).

Reply to
Jeff

you have to deall with the check engine light....CHECK ENGINE....pull the code.

Reply to
mac1833

Also, sounds like a silly thing......but make sure the fuel cap is put back tightly......you should hear that grinding when you twist the fuel cap on after gassing up. If the gas cap is loose, the engine light will come on as well. Bad mileage, poor performance, etc.

Caro