2006 Rio5 Clutch Nightmare

August 28th 2006, I bought a Red Kia Rio5 Ex Convenience in British Columbia. It's been pretty good overall, until now...

**Note, I've been driving stick shift/manual tranny vehicles since I was 9 years old hauling wood from the woodshed in our back field. I've had a honda, nissan pickup, nissan minivan, and subaru justy and my work truck that were all stick shift without any issues on their clutches...

This thing with 9,000K, 3 months old they say the clutch is completely disintegrated and quote "Undriveable". They say they won't know for sure until they get the parts, but they believe it to be completely my fault and not under warranty.

They told me it will be $1200.00 to replace the clutch and surrounding parts.

Thoughts?

Sincerely Worried, Kia Owner

Reply to
google

Well, I wish I had some usable input for you, other than to say that you are only the second red Rio5 owner I've ever heard of. Been driving mine since August. Never seen another one, and nobody's mentioned one in this group.

snipped-for-privacy@meet> August 28th 2006, I bought a Red Kia Rio5 Ex Convenience in British

Reply to
Kia-Ed

"Kia-Ed" wrote in news:Xns988585B2BCAE8KiaEd@216.196.97.142:

Hi there,

I have a Black 2006 Rio5 stick for about 11 months now - going in for

16000 KM check next week. I also have my worries about reliability as the car does not feel as "tight" as it did a year ago. I'll ask them how the clutch wear is doing (my 16 year old is learning on this car too and we all know how great that is for the clutch parts....)

I'll let you know what they say.

Flame (also in BC - Surrey to be exact bought from Applewood Kia)

Reply to
Flame

My clutch is looser then when I bought it, but I just thought it was wearing in. I've only got about 8,000 miles on it.

Have you both had both recalls done?

We ought to form a club - I'm on the US east coast though.

K-E

Flame wrote:

Reply to
Kia-Ed

We have not heard any recalls in canada, to my knowledge...

FLAME!! Mine's in the surrey location being repaired, bought from applewood too. Clutch has been engaging a few inches from the top, hate to tell ya but they're hydraulic clutches and the dealership says when they engage at the top, they're gone... there's no cable on the 2006... So when they hit top, there's no clutch left.

Kia-Ed wrote:

Reply to
Daniel James

There was one for the little accessory box that covers your computer access point. Apparently it gets in the way when you want to plug intot he engine, so they replace it with a flat cover. This is very disappointing. The other recall wasn't critical either, I just can't remmeber what it was. You might want to call your dealer.

Reply to
Kia-Ed

UPDATE:

Now been in the shop for a week or so... they get the part in. They pull it all a part and, as guessed by some people here.. yup it MUST be the customer's fault. They checked it out and they feel it must have been some bad driving...

(yeah, sure.. gunna beat on my new $17,000 investment, right!)

However, they're willing to help with some of the repair costs and get a break on the $380 clutch and the $700 in labor...

So I called Kia Canada's toll free 1-800 number, they said they'd contact the dealership, find out what's going on and get back to me.

Contacted Kia Canada 2.5 Hr ago, they seemed really keen to want to help me out. We'll see how things go. They even said they'd call me back asap, and got my contact # at work...

More on this later...

Kia-Ed wrote:

Reply to
contact