2002 KIA RIO

2002 Kia Rio 4-CYL Does this car have a timing belt? If so what are the intervals they should be changed? My sister got this car from car-mart and
has been a very good car, it has hit a deer and wiped out the front clip, the front clip has been replaced. The car has a sound coming from the rear that sounds almost like it has mud tires on the back but it doesn't. It has new BF goodrich tires on the back of it. What could this sound be coming from? it currently has almost 80,000 miles on it. What are common problems with this car?
Thanks in advance,
maxima
Git ir done , 70 k recommended , I had mine done at 72 k , guy in work had it done at 75 k I think , he asked about the condition of the belt and was told it looked like the external belts as far as wear . (These are both 03 's ) The engine self destructs if it fails so don't put it off too long . I had mine done after tax for $400 , other guy had it done for $390 including the replacement of the external belts , shop around for a good price. Phil

AT the least CHECK your timing belt tension. I pulled a motor apart and found the belt loose but still in good shape.
-SP
Maxima wrote:

If you plan on keeping the car, get the timing belt done soon. It the belt goes, the motor is history. My daughters went when the car was still on warranty. (Less than 50,000 miles on it) If you know how, go back and download all the headers for this newsgroup. Look for the one posted by Peter Luedemann and read about the kia dealer horror show.
Peter